Canada OT admission chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nrumy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a non traditional background, want some feedback from fellow Canadians as to how to improve my chances : Facts are as follows

- Bachelors from India, Masters from Columbia U in NYC in Architecture
- Pre reqs done from US cgpa 3.68
- volunteer hours : Geri - 100 hrs, Pediatric - 50 Hrs
- LOR from Professor and Colleague from Architecture , I couldn't manage a LOR from OTR

What are my chances in getting a admission in U of Alberta, U of Toronto, U of Mc Master, U of Queens, U of Western Ontario, U of McGill, U of BC ?

We are immigrating to CA from US .

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Being a non-resident (PR status is still not considered Canadian citizen) significantly reduces your chances in Canada (fewer slots, exponentially higher tuition). I'm not sure about the bachelor you obtained from India either... they may, or may not, accept it. Your GPA is slightly sub-par. Canadian medical schools place less emphasis on volunteering, so those hours might do you more good in the US.

As someone who is engaged to a new Canadian I will say that immigration to Canada is no easy task. CIC is going to give you trouble whenever they can. Canada is cold, the cost of living is higher than most parts of the US, and taxes are much higher. Medical school here is probably also more competitive than in the US.

If you really want it, or you have very deep pockets, go for it. Don't let someone on the Internet discourage you.

Hello,

I have a non traditional background, want some feedback from fellow Canadians as to how to improve my chances : Facts are as follows

- Bachelors from India, Masters from Columbia U in NYC in Architecture
- Pre reqs done from US cgpa 3.68
- volunteer hours : Geri - 100 hrs, Pediatric - 50 Hrs
- LOR from Professor and Colleague from Architecture , I couldn't manage a LOR from OTR

What are my chances in getting a admission in U of Alberta, U of Toronto, U of Mc Master, U of Queens, U of Western Ontario, U of McGill, U of BC ?

We are immigrating to CA from US .

Thank you

Once you have your permanent residency you can then apply. I don't know which schools will take non-citizens, but UofT won't and generally UofT is the most open to international students. I think you would get in if you had good grades in India and you get permanent residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your honest feed back.

Canadian schools have HARD MCAT and GPA cut-offs. Schools like Western have a 11 VR cut off and anyone that is below is rejected automatically. Mind there are only a few Canadian schools so the competition will be very high with lower acceptance rates than top-tier American schools

You have a close to ZERO chance of getting into a Canadian school if you are not a Canadian.

If you are a canuck, you have a below average chance of getting into an Canadian school -- mainly because they have hard GPA cut offs, and your GPA MIGHT not be high enough. For example my GPA was 3.75 which eliminate many canadian schools and my VR was 9 which eliminated the rest that my GPA was good enough to get an interview at.

Your background seems very interesting. Especially you Architecture masters. I say you have a pretty decent chance in a US med school (even in a CALI school) if you do average in the MCAT. >30. especially since you are an american.