Canada vs USA - Theraputic Drugs

Started by tatiyana
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tatiyana

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question.....what is the main difference in practicing in the US and in Canada?
Isn't it that Canadian optometrists cannot prescribe theraputic drugs and American optometrists can?

Thanks
 
tatiyana said:
I have a question.....what is the main difference in practicing in the US and in Canada?
Isn't it that Canadian optometrists cannot prescribe theraputic drugs and American optometrists can?

Thanks


I am Canadian and my dad is an optometrist. It is true that the cannot prescribe TPA's, but I believe this is going to change in the next couple years. They are in the precess of negotiating for them right now. I am not familiar with all of the individual state laws, but I believe most state allow optometrists to prescribe TPA's.
 
tatiyana said:
I have a question.....what is the main difference in practicing in the US and in Canada?
Isn't it that Canadian optometrists cannot prescribe theraputic drugs and American optometrists can?

Thanks

Dear tatiyana,

Not only is there a difference in the armentarium of therapeutic options (pharmaceuticals as well as ophthalmic/contact lenses and vision training), American optometrists are managing chronically or acutely ill patients pre-treatment and post treatment. Of much of this was an outcome of therapeutic pharmaceutical privileges, but one always wonders which came first, the knolwdge cart or the privilege horse?
 
Richard_Hom said:
Dear tatiyana,

Not only is there a difference in the armentarium of therapeutic options (pharmaceuticals as well as ophthalmic/contact lenses and vision training), American optometrists are managing chronically or acutely ill patients pre-treatment and post treatment. Of much of this was an outcome of therapeutic pharmaceutical privileges, but one always wonders which came first, the knolwdge cart or the privilege horse?

According to Baldwin it was the "knowledge cart". It is his belief that, historically, optometry only expands behind the expansion of optometric education.

Expansion in scope of optometric practice does not transpire unless preceded by expansion of optometric education.
taken from:
Baldwin, W.R., An International Perspective on Optometric Education. Optometry and Vision Science, 1993. 70(8): p. 634-636.