Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poopypants

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed there is a descent amount of Canadians on this pre OD forum. I would like to get some feedback from OD’s practicing in Canada of what life is like as an OD there. This would help us perspective future fellow Canadian OD’s. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

From the optometrists whom I spoke with in eastern canada- quebec, we dont do a lot of drugs, and if we do its limited. there is specialty practice going on but its not as publicized as in the us and there are not just special clinics for vision therapy for eg no none of that in QC

we got more chains going on and apparently the older generation of ODs are being pushed out by commercialized optometry.

well we have an optometry school here in montreal and everyone is welcome to apply the tuition is 9000$ a year so definitely come do it if you want to live in montreal- its excellent- but you have to stand being in -40 winters and shovelling your car out after the snowplower buried in on st. denis lol.......

You have to give consideration to the canadian health insurance too when we think about the accessibility of basic eye care to the population.

In Alberta Optometrists definitely can prescribe drugs/drops/etc. There's a bill in waiting in Ontario currently, just waiting to be passed to do the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
In Alberta Optometrists definitely can prescribe drugs/drops/etc. There's a bill in waiting in Ontario currently, just waiting to be passed to do the same thing.

alberta ODs can only prescribe topical drops, they are still waiting for the legislation for oral and injectible medications