Canadian aiming for top US MD schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canucks99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I am a mature undergrad student looking to formulate a plan of attack to at least have a shot at upper tier US MD schools.

I am also a Canadian, but it is my life goal to not only enter medicine but to live in the United States and practice there. I expect to have a 3.3 GPA by September and have graduated with a BA in psychology with a strong upward trend. I have only taken about 4-6 science courses. I intended to take more science courses this spring in order to prepare for the MCAT this summer to apply this year as I am nearing being "possibly" competitive at my in-province school here in Canada (I say possibly because admissions are a wild card in this province because the evaluation is 50/50 for GPA/ECs at the pre-interview stage). The school uses percent instead of GPA and my average would be about an 80% average by the June 1st cutoff for the upcoming cycle, which would give me an outside shot of about 20% at this school based on statistics. This school is UBC which is 31st on the US News & World Report list of best global universities and 47th on the similar global list for clinical medicine.

I have no doubts I will be accepted to a Canadian MD within 3 cycles max (because of continuation of coursework and improved GPA). But Canada isn't my goal, the US is. A cornerstone of my goal to practice in the US is that I have my heart set on doing a top residency program in the US, as I believe this would open the most possible doors for my career. Easier said than done of course. But since this is my goal, very recently I figured a US medical school makes the most sense to do for a variety of logistical reasons. But I have significant hurdles wrt GPA by going the US route because of the many years of undergraduate coursework needed to get a 3.5-3.6 GPA. But then very recently I started reading about the post-bac programs and found myself asking myself if this might be a better option (we essentially don't have premed post-bacc's in Canada. If they do exist, I have never heard of a Canadian student doing a post-bac to get into a Canadian med school. Here, the major option for GPA repair is is to do a 2nd undergrad instead).

I figured the cost might be worth it if I can improve all aspects of my application in this more focused program. The programs that impressed me the most were Hopkins, Penn, and Washington University St Louis. I would love the chance to do these programs if I am deemed competitive and admissible.

However the main problem is if I should do a post-bac in the US or a 2nd undergrad in science in Canada. I can get 70% of my tuition covered from bursaries and grants here in Canada, but my US post-bacc would all be self-funded, I'm assuming (keep in mind the exchange rate for CAD to USD hovers around 75 cents of late). I know I have to excel academically in both options. And if I killed it in either option, after 18 months my GPA would be around a 3.55.

I understand it's hard to gauge without an MCAT score. But in terms of strictly my GPA repair, would a post-bacc benefit me far more than a second undergrad in science? I have to perform in my coursework and on the MCAT no matter what, I get that. But given my primary goal of a top residency, then a top med school makes sense. So if I performed extremely well at a post-bacc at Penn, WashU in St.Louis or Hopkins, would I have a very strong chance at top tier US med schools? I'm also intrigued about how my performance in these programs might help me more than a second full undergraduate degree in biochemistry or physics from UBC, because of linkages and also possible favorability from top names in the US application process.

It's complicated because I could just get in in Canada much sooner and save years at this stage and move onto the next by getting into an MD to attempt to kill the USMLEs. But that is a less favourable option as well, but still an option nonetheless. I'm trying to do what is most optimal, not the default. Is there any foreseeable way that I can get into a top tier US MD with a post-bacc in my situation? Does the post-bacc streamline the process and save years for people like me? Is there any consideration I seem to be missing from this narrative? MCAT of course, but I figured I need the GPA first. If I could get some opinions or info, it would be incredibly appreciated. I'm also "fluent" in Canadian MD admissions so if you by chance have any questions for that feel free to PM me!

I love everything about the US and just want to be a part of it and immigrate. I want to be a US citizen and contribute to the USA.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First of all, it's unclear why you're so focused on being at a "top" program.

Even Your GPA so far is not in line with what's required at US MD programs which is GPA >3.7, let alone top programs. You will also have an uphill battle being Canadian, a lot of medical school spots are reserved for in-state/regional applicants. You'll need an MCAT score before anyone can give you realistic admission chances.

I don't know much about Canadian admissions, but if you are confident you can be admitted in Canada and the cost will be lower - I would think that's your best route. Take and do well on the USMLE in medical school and look at getting a US residency afterwards. This route would depend somewhat on what specialty you wanted to pursue at that point.

I would re-evaluate your goals and what's truly important. Being a physician, location and the importance of "top" programs and prioritize what's truly important.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you for your reply. The reason I'm focused on a top residency is because it was my understanding that the name or prestige of an institution means a lot in the US. I am hoping of having the option of living in a desirable coastal city such as New York City. And also I thought a top program would allow me to pursue competitive fellowships and become even more specialized. I am interested in becoming a specialized surgeon in a major US city (NYC, Chicago, Seattle, Los Angeles.). I figured a top residency would help me achieve this. I also understand surgery is very competitive in the US. A high salary would be nice as well. I am just trying to aim for the highest possible outcome. Isn't that what some people try to do?

Sorry I never mentioned that, I would consider myself as a record enhancer applicant for these programs as well. So yes I am aware I am not currently competitive with a 3.3. But in less then 2 years I should have a 3.6ish GPA if all goes well and was hoping to compensate by performing well on the MCAT. I think I have what it takes to perform quite well on the MCAT, how well I'm not sure, but we will have to see.

But just to clarify, I am trying to see if a post-bacc makes sense for me. I was providing background just to give some context. But thank you for your opinion you make a good point about how Canada might be better for the MD and to write the USMLEs and come to the US for residency. Could you expand on what you meant by this route would depend on what type of residency I wanted to pursue? I want to pursue surgery, preferably neurosurgery or vascular/cardiothoracic surgery but I'm interested in exploring plastics and orthopaedic surgery as well. Yes I realize how naive this all sounds with no acceptance and a 3.3 GPA. But these are my goals I'm working towards no matter what. Expenses aren't much of a concern as I run a small but profitable consulting company and I've built up savings. And I'm willing to put the time into all of this. I'm willing to do 120 more credits over the next 4 years, and more after that if necessary. I'm in it for the long haul.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a Canadian MG, you would be treated about the same as a USMG by residency programs. If you do very well in med school and on the standardized exams, you'll be competitive in your residency applications. And isn't the Canadian tuition, especially at state schools, a lot cheaper than US schools. As a Canadian you'll likely only be considered at private schools. If you have your heart set on applying to and paying for a "top" US school, go right ahead, but consider yourself lucky that you apparently have the Canadian school option.

What I forgot to mention in the last post was the potential Visa problem you might have as a Canadian citizen wanting to work in a US residency program. Also, if you want to practice in Canada after you've finished training, there might be problems placed in your way by the Canadian government.

Hi neurodoc, thank you so much for your reply.

It is a major relief to hear that CMGs are not looked down upon by the US medical community.

And yes you are accurate in that our medical school's tuition costs are fractions of what US schools cost. In fact coupled with the CAD/USD exchange rate, I would call American medical tuition costs, as a Canadian, quite astronomical (relatively speaking to ours at least).

I suppose my only issue then is the visa . Because getting my GPA up at my local school and then going to a Canadian medical school, seems like a very convenient option. I will most definitely perform the best I can in medical school.

I suppose I should do some research and speak to a good immigration lawyer in regards to a visa, just to see if any possibilities exist. In any event, it is still great news in my books, assuming there is a possibility for a visa. You may have saved me hundreds of thousands of dollars. So thank you so much! :)