Canadian Applicant Thread 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syphilis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for us since we're similar but not completely the same as other international applicants.

I'm 7th batch and have not heard anything from the ~10 schools I applied to;;;
~3.4 gpa with 26AA/18PAT

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering if any other applicants have applied to Pittsburgh and received a similar email titled

"Missing DAT scores for Pitt SDM application"

I feel like they might be saying this since we had to snail mail our scores.

Also, has anyone heard back from NYU saying that they were under review? I got the email saying that they received my supplemental fee a week ago but have not received the "under review" email.

I'm a Canadian applicant, I also got an email yesterday from Pitt stating that I am missing my DAT scores even though I had the CDA mail it out to them in June

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 7th batch and have not heard anything from the ~10 schools I applied to;;;
~3.4 gpa with 26AA/18PAT

Don't stress, I'm fifth batch and have only heard from one (rejection). So you're in better shape than me!

I got an invite this morning from NOVA, completed my DAT last week

Same here, my application went mailed on July 2nd, and updated DAT score was sent on July 31st. Nothing so far from all schools. (beside now under review or application completed emails)
~3.1 GPA, 24AA 26 PAT

I'm just worried since I won't be able to go to any interviews from January to March...

Yeah I'm under review at Nyu! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Under review for both PITT and NYU, here.

Hi,
For those who used cDAT scores, did you send your official cDAT scores to all the schools after esubmitting? or after everything has been verified??? Thanks!

Hi,
For those who used cDAT scores, did you send your official cDAT scores to all the schools after esubmitting? or after everything has been verified??? Thanks!

Before e submitting I believe

Reactions: 1 user
Any updates on interviews/rejections guys?

I have one from UDM.

There are a handful of people with invites from UDM, Buffalo, and other schools.

Invites to UDM and Buffalo.

Thanks guys, lets keep each other posted on this thread. Good luck on your interviews @XZeRO ! Let us know how they go

If you don't mind sharing what are your stats?

Science and overall gpa 3.47. 22AA, 21TS, 25 pat and 26 reading. 1.5 years research, lots of volunteering. I have about 100 shadowing hours and some are international so I'm starting to think I made a mistake there.

Science and overall gpa 3.47. 22AA, 21TS, 25 pat and 26 reading. 1.5 years research, lots of volunteering. I have about 100 shadowing hours and some are international so I'm starting to think I made a mistake there.

Those are some good stats man. That's probably not the reason why, I'm sure you'll get an interview somewhere. When did you get verified?

Those are some good stats man. That's probably not the reason why, I'm sure you'll get an interview somewhere. When did you get verified?

Thanks, I hope the schools agree! I was first sent out 5th batch but I wrote my DAT at the end of July, and didn't get my dentist letter in until mid August. So I was officially complete around mid or end of August.

Hey guys! I'm a long time lurker on SDN and I finally found my place lol
AADSAS mailed out date: 7/7. Applied to 10 schools, heard back from 2. @XZeRO Which day are you interviewing for UDM?
I'm still waiting to hear back from my dream schools... Hope no news is good news.

AADSAS mailed out date: 7/7. Applied to 10 schools, heard back from 2. @XZeRO Which day are you interviewing for UDM?
I'm still waiting to hear back from my dream schools... Hope no news is good news.

Would you mind sharing your stats and what schools you've heard from?

Woohoo! Hello fellow Canadians! I am glad I found you guys haha
I applied to 11, heard back from 2 (UDM and Minnesota).
I think my batch was 9th? (Aug 21).
Anyone have interview at UDM/Minnesota? :)
Good luck to you all! I hope to keep in touch with you guys

I also have interviews there :) Which days?

Me too! Do you guys know how many of Canadians get accepted after the interview? (Do we have high chance of getting accepted?) I like both of the schools so I am kind of nervous and exciting at the same time :S

For UDM, did you guys submit the money order first before you were offered an interview?

It was originally scheduled for around end of October. I ended up withdrawing the application because I've got an acceptance to another non-US school. There is a dream school in the US I am waiting to hear from still, and I will certainly go there if given the opportunity.

I don't know any other Canadians applying to US schools right now so I'm so happy to have found this thread!

NYU interview invite received yesterday, still waiting to hear from more schools (UCLA) and still working on supplemental applications (UCSF). Application complete/under review: BU, Harvard, USC, UOP, Columbia, WesternU

I don't know any other Canadians applying to US schools right now so I'm so happy to have found this thread!

NYU interview invite received yesterday, still waiting to hear from more schools (UCLA) and still working on supplemental applications (UCSF). Application complete/under review: BU, Harvard, USC, UOP, Columbia, WesternU
Do you mind if I ask your stats and mail out date? NYU is one of my dream school but I haven't heard back from them yet:S

Hey guys. I'm a Canadian that applied last year. I got interviews at Canadian and American schools. Chose Temple in Philly. It's honestly a fantastic school and wouldn't change a thing. So apply to Temple!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. I'm a Canadian that applied last year. I got interviews at Canadian and American schools. Chose Temple in Philly. It's honestly a fantastic school and wouldn't change a thing. So apply to Temple!!

Hey thats great to hear, I have a couple of questions if you don't mind?

1. How is it being that far away from home? How often do you come back?
2. How much money did you get from loans/grants? and from which sources (bank/osap)?
3. What's philly like?
4. Why did you choose temple vs canadian schools?

Thanks!

I have interview at UDM on nov 14th too. You start 8am or 10? I start 10.

Hey thats great to hear, I have a couple of questions if you don't mind?

1. How is it being that far away from home? How often do you come back?
2. How much money did you get from loans/grants? and from which sources (bank/osap)?
3. What's philly like?
4. Why did you choose temple vs canadian schools?

Thanks!

1. I don't mind being far from home. At first I was hesitant, but after orientation week I knew I'd love it here. I go home maybe once or twice a semester.
2. As an international student, you don't really get anything from American banks. I got a line of credit from CIBC for $213,000. My parents are covering the rest (helps if you have family members willing to contribute).
3. Philly is awesome. Very fun city with a warm feeling. Traffic can suck sometimes on major highways and downtown, but other than that it's not too bad. I go out downtown almost every weekend and party.
4. Most Canadian schools are terrible for clinical experience. Numerous Canadian school students do a residency in the US after their 4 years because they don't feel prepared. Going to Temple, I doubt I'll have to do one. Temple has one of the best clinical curriculum's in the country. Many dentists in Canada say that graduates from US schools are miles ahead of Canadian school graduates. There's a reason they say that. Students in Canada go to Canadian schools because of the tuition and location, not because the education.

Hope that helped!

1. I don't mind being far from home. At first I was hesitant, but after orientation week I knew I'd love it here. I go home maybe once or twice a semester.
2. As an international student, you don't really get anything from American banks. I got a line of credit from CIBC for $213,000. My parents are covering the rest (helps if you have family members willing to contribute).
3. Philly is awesome. Very fun city with a warm feeling. Traffic can suck sometimes on major highways and downtown, but other than that it's not too bad. I go out downtown almost every weekend and party.
4. Most Canadian schools are terrible for clinical experience. Numerous Canadian school students do a residency in the US after their 4 years because they don't feel prepared. Going to Temple, I doubt I'll have to do one. Temple has one of the best clinical curriculum's in the country. Many dentists in Canada say that graduates from US schools are miles ahead of Canadian school graduates. There's a reason they say that. Students in Canada go to Canadian schools because of the tuition and location, not because the education.

Hope that helped!
I have a interview coming soon at Temple. Do you have any suggestions or advice regarding to the interview? Also it will be my first visit to phillies so I am pretty nervous and excited at the same time!

Do you mind if I ask your stats and mail out date? NYU is one of my dream school but I haven't heard back from them yet:S

Yup here you go:

Notification date: 10/7/15
Method of notification: E-mail
AADSAS mail-out date: 9/22/15
Application complete date: 9/23/15
GPA (science, overall): 3.46, 3.43
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/24/24/24/none

Wrote the American DAT

100 shadowing hours

Currently in grad school

I have a interview coming soon at Temple. Do you have any suggestions or advice regarding to the interview? Also it will be my first visit to phillies so I am pretty nervous and excited at the same time!

Just be yourself. Display optimism. Show you're not a robot. They're HUGE on personality here. So be fun and joke around a bit. Brian likes that. But Philly is awesome....way different than Canada (in general) but you get used to it pretty quick. I may even see you at your interview. What's the date?

Just be yourself. Display optimism. Show you're not a robot. They're HUGE on personality here. So be fun and joke around a bit. Brian likes that. But Philly is awesome....way different than Canada (in general) but you get used to it pretty quick. I may even see you at your interview. What's the date?
Does Temple have outreach oppertunitues? (I read about project ENGAGE)

2 interviews so far with me.

NYU October 26th, and UDM November 9th.

Anyone apply to Melbourne dental in Australia? Should be getting acceptances the 19th or 20th.

Last edited:
2 interviews so far with me.

NYU October 26th, and UDM November 9th.

Anyone apply to Melbourne dental in Australia? Should be getting acceptances the 19th or 20th.
Congrats! I haven't heard back from NYU even though my mail out date was August 7th:S I hope to hear from them soon.. Anyways, good luck!