Canadian Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Audio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here is my problem. I want to apply to American schools starting in May. But the Canadian Dat is offered in November. Would this seriously kill my chances of being accepted. Also, is it worth writing the american DAT. How does it compare to the MCAT in terms of difficulty and amount of material?

I have about a 3.67 and am currently finishing my 3rd year at Uni. of Toronto. Should I just take the American DAT this summer? I heard that the American DAT is harder than the Candian one. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

Audio said:
Ok, so here is my problem. I want to apply to American schools starting in May. But the Canadian Dat is offered in November. Would this seriously kill my chances of being accepted. Also, is it worth writing the american DAT. How does it compare to the MCAT in terms of difficulty and amount of material?

I have about a 3.67 and am currently finishing my 3rd year at Uni. of Toronto. Should I just take the American DAT this summer? I heard that the American DAT is harder than the Candian one. Is this true?

in terms of getting interview invites...u're gonna need those official DAT scores ASAP..so november would be kinda late.

i've only taken the C-DAT...i've heard mixed reviews about which one is easier. all i can say is that the A-DAT is on the computer...so it could be difficult when doin angle discrimination and if u're the person who likes underlining and circling stuff for reading comps.

the A-DAT has orgo & math as well.

Does anyone know if Kaplan has American DAT prep courses in Toronto?

Members don't see this ad :)
Audio said:

You don't really need to do those courses.. ~$1000. save it for your application fee later.

Your GPA looks good, and it tells me that all you need to do is to review your 1st yr general science courses + org.chem

Yup, you gotta have your DAT scores ready. You need to get those interview invites in Fall to hear GOOD NEWS on DEc 1st. So, just cross the border and take the american one.

DAT prep books we see in bookstores are designed for American DAT so you can get one of those and study.
I had a similar GPA as yours and didn't study at all for my DAT. I still got 19s and 20s... (Canadian one) and these scores were good enough for me to get into U of Michigan, Pittsburgh and Case etc...

Strengthen your application by adding research experience, volunteer, etc..
Good luck

I have done them both and I got the exact same score (20/20/18). American DAT is NOT harder! Reading comp is actually easier on the American DAT than that Canadian DAT. May be the PAT is a bit more difficult when it comes to angles, but other than that, they are same level of difficulty.
Just get the Kaplan blue book, the Top Score CD and Baron's (for PAT only) and you should be fine for the American DAT.
I highly suggest that you do the American DAT because:
1)It show American schools that you are serious about apply to the states...
2)You can do the American DAT any day, so you can get your scored sent to schools in June or July, waiting till November/December will kill your chaces of getting into most American schools, believe me!

DB#1 said:
I have done them both and I got the exact same score (20/20/18). American DAT is NOT harder! Reading comp is actually easier on the American DAT than that Canadian DAT. May be the PAT is a bit more difficult when it comes to angles, but other than that, they are same level of difficulty.
Just get the Kaplan blue book, the Top Score CD and Baron's (for PAT only) and you should be fine for the American DAT.
I highly suggest that you do the American DAT because:
1)It show American schools that you are serious about apply to the states...
2)You can do the American DAT any day, so you can get your scored sent to schools in June or July, waiting till November/December will kill your chaces of getting into most American schools, believe me!

Don't make the same mistake I did..and write the DATs in November. I did well as you can see in my stats below but I still havnt received any interviews...my stuff became finalized too late it seems. Take the American DAT for sure in like August.

Audio said:

I think we are in the same year. I am also a third year student at UT. it worths writing the american DAT earlier than waiting till Nov, at least u hv another chance just in case. And u will have more time dealing with the application and get interviews earlier, which is another advantage.
i wrote my american DAT at the end of my second year (in summer).
I don't find american DAT is much harder, but u need time to prepare for OCHEM and some math. PAT is the main challenge tho.

Audio said:

the Kaplan course in toronto is canadian version, so they miss the OCHEM and QR stuff. I wanted to write American DAT. So i called Kaplan and changed the course material(they are all online after u register) to American one without extra charge. for the kaplan book they use the American ones.

i have written both DAT's as well
The Canadian DAT and American DAT definately take questions from the same BANK. It is quite possible tho that the American DAT chooses harder questions sometimes in the science sections, but this could just be due to the luck of the draw. Also the quantitative can really bring down the AA for some ppl.
My scores were quite similar on both tests...around 20...but in my personal opinion the carving threw me off a bit and I may have not been in as focussed a mind set as i would have liked for the remainder of the test. Perceptual ability (american) is also definately more difficult in the angle rankings and also some of the other diagrams are (so small) you can barely see them.