Canadian Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate to start another 'chances' thread but i just received my canadian dat marks and am trying to decide whether i should be considerign applying to the states if i dont get in here in Ontario.

My gpa is pretty low at a 3.2 but with a huge upward trend. In my defense, i graduated this past april and since then have retaken a bunch of pre-req courses that i did bad in and have scored all A's in them so far (so D-schools avg the two grades right? ... so the 3.2 will be more of a 3.3-3.4 with those factored in)

My cDat scores are as follows:

Biol: 22
Chem: 17 :(
RC: 20
AA: 20
PAT: 19
Carving: 16

Thanks for any insight!!

PS. do D-schools in the states not like the cdat? or am i okay applying with it and not the american one?

Members don't see this ad.

with your GPA, your chance at Canadian schools is zero.
what is your best two year average? if its above 85%, you might get an interview at UWO.

so considering US schools is a must.

My top two years is a 84.33% so i think i have a fighting shot at an interview at western.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry but i have a question here. how can one boost their gpa up? i am in 3rd year and my gpa is 3.2 also. i have 3 semesters left till i graduate. I am very stressed out right now

with 3 semesters left, even if you get 4.0 in all the change will not be as drastic as you'd like it to be. By third year, you have accumulated too many courses that will act a buffer. Your best bet is to do masters.

I hate to start another 'chances' thread but i just received my canadian dat marks and am trying to decide whether i should be considerign applying to the states if i dont get in here in Ontario.

My gpa is pretty low at a 3.2 but with a huge upward trend. In my defense, i graduated this past april and since then have retaken a bunch of pre-req courses that i did bad in and have scored all A's in them so far (so D-schools avg the two grades right? ... so the 3.2 will be more of a 3.3-3.4 with those factored in)

My cDat scores are as follows:

Biol: 22
Chem: 17 :(
RC: 20
AA: 20
PAT: 19
Carving: 16

Thanks for any insight!!

PS. do D-schools in the states not like the cdat? or am i okay applying with it and not the american one?

You have a chance in the states. I don't know how much of a chance, but you're not hopeless. Your DAT scores are pretty good (except for chem). Some schools require at least an 18 on each section, so you might want to look into writing the February or the American sometime. And if you apply to the States early, I think you'd get looked at, and assuming that everything else about your application is great (not just good), you should be ok for interviews.

Most private schools will accept the Canadian DAT (boston, nyu, usc, etc.) but the rest do not. Even if it says "American DAT Required" on their website, e-mail them to ask if they accept the Canadian -- Minnesota lists the American DAT, but they accept the Canadian.

you can also consider applying for australian dental school, it's accredited in canada now

MUNCHY if i take the prereq again and get good gpa with those. would dental schools consider those only??

No, as far as I know there are no schools that only look at your pre req course GPAs. This is 100% true for Canadians and all the schools that I know of in the states. It will certainly help to have solid marks in those courses, but at then end, sGPA and cGPA are important regardless.

This is what I would do if I were you; take as many science courses I can and do really well on them. Then apply to dental school but also apply for masters programs as well. If you don't get into any dental program, at least you have a backup plan. Finish masters, raise sGPA, then apply again.

Good luck!

MUNCHY if i take the prereq again and get good gpa with those. would dental schools consider those only??

Are you saying otherwise?

yes.

australia has both post secondary school entry and post bachelor entry dental programs. Each system may have very different entrance criteria, especially for international students.

Getting into (some of the) australian dental school as an international students is easier than getting into Canadian dental school as local students. Many factors play a role including # of applicant, # of spots, selection criteria.

Both Melbourne and Sydney now have post graduate entry dental programs.
University of Sydney's selection criteria is quite different from north american.
Each year they send out interview invites to people passing the minimum score requirement.
Once applicants are interviewed, the only criteria they use to select stduent is the interview score. i.e. they throw out ur gpa/dat/mcat/gamsat score, everyone is at the same starting point once they get the interview.

yes.

australia has both post secondary school entry and post bachelor entry dental programs. Each system may have very different entrance criteria, especially for international students.

Getting into (some of the) australian dental school as an international students is easier than getting into Canadian dental school as local students. Many factors play a role including # of applicant, # of spots, selection criteria.

Both Melbourne and Sydney now have post graduate entry dental programs.
University of Sydney's selection criteria is quite different from north american.
Each year they send out interview invites to people passing the minimum score requirement.
Once applicants are interviewed, the only criteria they use to select stduent is the interview score. i.e. they throw out ur gpa/dat/mcat/gamsat score, everyone is at the same starting point once they get the interview.

i dont think that is entirely correct...from what i heard this yr, sydney ranked interviewees by their GPA when giving out final acceptances

i dont think that is entirely correct...from what i heard this yr, sydney ranked interviewees by their GPA when giving out final acceptances
you might be correct. My info could have been outdated.