Canadian applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chakshu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of a Canadian applicant getting into medical school in the US? Am I disadvantaged in private schools? Also, what schools have no preference of nationality? Is this info present in MSAR? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Chakshu said:
What are the chances of a Canadian applicant getting into medical school in the US? Am I disadvantaged in private schools? Also, what schools have no preference of nationality? Is this info present in MSAR? Thank you.

Finally, a canadian applicant. The chances are pretty good...better than some canadians, especially if you have a high mcat score and low gpa...

so what are your stats? PM me.

Yes, you are still disadvantaged at private schools, because they prefer Americans. All the info is present in MSAR. Also check out premed101.com...

Chakshu said:

Your chances are better than getting into a Canadian school. Just steer clear of public schools, unless you have stellar stats. If you do, then Canada would be a better option. If you have less than stellar stats (ie: low GPA but MCAT > 30) then you have a shot at private US schools. They will just be expensive.

I am proof that it is possible. Buy the MSAR for stats and see which schools you are competitive at. Apply early (primary in by mid-July at the latest, and secondaries in by mid-August at the latest). Most schools have rolling admissions (first come, first serve) so the longer you wait the lower your chances.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.