Canadian applying to US Dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wright92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone I'm a Canadian planning on pursuing a career in Dentistry

As most Canadians know, getting into Canadian dental schools is just as hard as getting into Med schools, and as a Canadian, going to the US is one of the few options we have if we want to get into Dental schools. however, even then we're considered international students and are chances are still not the greatest.

My question is: With these stats what would be my chances of getting into Dental school in the States?
with a 3.45 GPA, 3.3 sGPA (didn't do to great in my chemistry and Math courses), 3.45 BCP, 22 AA DAT, and 200+ hours of shadowing, with 3 great LOR.

I plan on applying to the Canadian friendly schools in the next few days

I don't think my chances are good at all considering the small amount of Canadians accepted to dental schools in the states, would i have to pursue post bacc or something else? Or am I just screwed and should I look into other career options? :(

Please be perfectly honest with me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Wright92,

Actually, there are a lot of Canadians accepted to US dental schools. I'm one of them. I will be starting D1 in August. From your stats, I'd say you have a good chance at the Canadian friendly dental schools for sure. Also...never give up on your career goal of becoming a dentist.

Thanks for the hope, if its not a problem, could I ask what your stats were when you applied?

Members don't see this ad :)
just to add, I've had a 3.81 oGPA over the last 3 years if that makes a difference to the admissions committee

Thanks for the hope, if its not a problem, could I ask what your stats were when you applied?

No worries. I applied with a GPA>3.9 and DAT scores of 20+ in most sections, but not an outstanding DAT for sure. And yes, if you have had a 3.81 oGPA over the last 3 years, I think adcoms view this favourably. Upward trend?

I am also a Canadian...I have the same DAT and a much lower GPA. I think you have a good shot at multiple Canadian friendly schools.