Canadian, cGPA 3.83, MCAT 512 - WAMC/ School List Help for MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snekster

Reaction score
1.) cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS
  • 3.83 cGPA, 3.78 sGPA (bachelor of medical science)

2.) MCAT score(s) and breakdown
  • First time: 505 (127/123/128/127)
  • Second time: 505 (127/123/128/127)
  • Third time: 512 (128/125/129/130)

3.) State of residence or country
  • Canadian citizen

4.) Ethnicity and/or race
  • South Asian

5.) Clinical experience (~50 hours total)
  • Walk-in Clinic Volunteer (just started so 50 hours by the end of June)

6.) Work Experience (3670 hours total)
  • One year full time internship as research & development lab intern in food industry (1800 hours)
  • Line cook/ barista - part time during school (500 hours)
  • Faculty peer leader (helped provide wayfinding, learning skills, and social support to first-year students in select courses in support of a successful transition to university life) (200 hours)
  • First year student mentor - provided summer programming to support incoming students through a variety of different avenues (400 hours)
  • Youth Assistant instructor - taught math and reading skills to children aged 4-12 (670 hours)
  • Free lance graphic designer (100 hours)

7.) Shadowing experience and specialties (80 hours total)
  • Online volunteering, multiple specialties (20 hours)
  • Family doctor (60 hours)

8.) Non-clinical volunteering (130 hours total)
  • 1:1 mentor at non-profit that works with vulnerable youth (30 hours)
  • Free Private tutoring for high school students with science (100 hours)

9.) Other extracurricular activities/hobbies (540+ hours total)
  • Psychological Disorder Club Executive --> Vice president -->President (300 hours)
  • HOSA chapter Vice president (200 hours)
  • Recreational Basketball league (40 hours)
  • Food Blogger (5 months)
  • Foster Pet Parent (3 months)

10.) Relevant honors or awards
  • Deans honors list - 2020,2021,2022
  • University Entrance Scholarship of $2500
  • Top 10 HOSA Canada award - 2019

11.) Anything else not listed you think might be important
  • I have an additional 260 hours of clinical experience working at a medical assistant in grade 11, it was a pivoting experience that led me to pursue med.
    • Should I include it on the list even though its from 2019?
    • Let me know your thoughts please.
  • I'm in the process of getting ~50 hours of clinical experience this month.
  • I'm thinking of submitting the application first week of July (latest)
  • Should I be worried about how they view my second MCAT attempt where I got the same score as the first time?
  • How should I quantify the time spent on hobbies? ex. being a foster pet parent

Members don't see this ad.

You are not competitive for US MD schools as a Canadian applicant. Schools may average your MCAT scores and your clinical and non clinical volunteering hours are too low. You could try DO schools that accept applications from Canadians.

Reactions: 1 user
You are not competitive for US MD schools as a Canadian applicant. Schools may average your MCAT scores and your clinical and non clinical volunteering hours are too low. You could try DO schools that accept applications from Canadians.
Hey Faha, thanks for your response. Will I be a competitive applicant for DO schools if i get 150+ hours in my clinical and non clinical volunteering by September?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Faha, thanks for your response. Will I be a competitive applicant for DO schools if i get 150+ hours in my clinical and non clinical volunteering by September?
How much experience in clinical and non-clinical were done in the United States? Where are you currently based?

If you have 150+ hours of each by September you could apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
AZCOM
CCOM
KCU-COM
LU-COM
MSUCOM
MU-COM
NSU-KPCOM
UNECOM
WCU-COM
WESTERN
Touro-NY
Also check and see if any of the new schools are accepting applications from Canadians.