Canadian doing resendecy in US --> can I go back to Canada?

Started by ocean11
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ocean11

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I have a quick question.... I am a Canadian citizen in a US med school (allopathic MD) and might stay here to do residency. Now can I go BACK to Canada to practice AFTER finishing my residency (and obviously MD here?). How do I go about this? Do I need to take any exams when I go back as a neurologist or dermatologist or internist etc?!?

Thanks alot
 
docbill said:
YES you can come back.

See provincial college for answers.

Sorry what do you mean provincial college? were can I get ahold of them?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ocean11 said:
Sorry what do you mean provincial college? were can I get ahold of them?

'provincial college'. This is a colloquial term.

To learn about the requirements of licensure in any given jurisdiction - a province or territory of Canada - consult each College of Physicians and Surgeons of (province).

The Federation of Medical Regulatory Authorities of Canada, or FMRAC, is a federation of all Canadian licensing authorites.

Its website is
www.fmrac.ca

You can find links to each 'provincial college' there, with complete contact information. Almost all of the 'colleges' have their own website where you can review the requirements of licensure before you call or write them to ask for additional information.
 
ocean11 said:
I am a Canadian citizen in a US med school (allopathic MD) and might stay here to do residency. Now can I go BACK to Canada to practice AFTER finishing my residency (and obviously MD here?). How do I go about this? Do I need to take any exams when I go back as a neurologist or dermatologist or internist etc?!?

Thanks alot

Here's some info that may be useful as you look into medical licensure in Canada.

Holding both the LMCC and RCPSC gives to eligibility to obtain full licensure in any jurisdiction in Canada. (Quebec is another story.)

Medical Council of Canada examinations: US MD is subject to the Qualifying Examination Parts I and II. See www.mcc.ca

Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada examinations: Certification exam in the specialty. One has to ensure that the US training meets the published requirements of training. See www.rcpsc.medical.org. Read the requirements of training for the specialty. See also information on "Preliminary Assessment".

Holding US credentials only - i.e., State licence, specialty diploma - can give you eligibililty to practice in many jurisdictions, and especially in designated areas where more specialists are needed. Contact each provincial college for information. www.fmrac.ca
 
ocean11 said:
Hi guys,

I have a quick question.... I am a Canadian citizen in a US med school (allopathic MD) and might stay here to do residency. Now can I go BACK to Canada to practice AFTER finishing my residency (and obviously MD here?). How do I go about this? Do I need to take any exams when I go back as a neurologist or dermatologist or internist etc?!?

Thanks alot

I am in the same situation but I am thinking about doing my residency in Canada. Anything specific making you want to stay in the US for residency? I am just curious since I am debating whether I should stay in the US or not.
 
http://www.caribbeanmedicine.com/openletter.htm

After reading this website, I'm kinda concerned about getting into an residency program in the USA after graduating from a US school. Apparently, people waited up to 2 years just to get their visas so they can start their residency. Is this accurate information? 🙁