Canadian Friendly SMP Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoc2323

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has done an SMP program in the US and was successful at getting into a medical school afterwards? SMP programs are expensive and I was wondering if it is worth the extra 60K!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you thinking of coming back to Canada for medical school or the US? If you're anticipating coming back then it may be financially more feasible to do an after degree or an 2nd undergrad.

do a second undergrad, takes 2 years, and costs ~15K

Also, unless you plan on going to the US, an SMP is not anything that'll 'replace' your first degree like they kind of do in the states. aka the schools here don't really care

Members don't see this ad :)
To my knowledge, SMP are not worth the money for Canadians as we do not have the same guarantee as American's would

Hey OP, I went to a SMP and am currently attending a US DO school. I think the worth of SMP really varies on if you plan to apply to US or Canadian med school afterwards...If you only want to apply to Canadian schools, then no, don't do a SMP and do some post-bach or 2nd bachelor in a Canadian institution. If however, you want to give US a try, then I'd say sure, go for SMP. Most of the SMP give you some perks when you apply for their medical school, and it also increases your chance of getting accepted in the US.

For SMP themselves though, I believe a vast majority of them are Canadian friendly, they are quite easy to get into. Pick one that offers the best perk for medical school application.

Check out the BMS program as Rosalind Franklin University. I was accepted into Chicago Medical School (at that same school) after completing BMS. I'm a Canadian who did not have a competitive GPA and only a decent MCAT. Although this program is expensive ($45k USD), it got me into a US MD school and I will be able to match back to Canada for residency if I choose to (I can also try for the U.S. match). PM me if you need more info! I would be happy to help any fellow Canadians!

Reactions: 1 user