Canadian Friendly SMP Programs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoc2323

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has done an SMP program in the US and was successful at getting into a medical school afterwards? SMP programs are expensive and I was wondering if it is worth the extra 60K!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your stats? Relevant for people giving you advice about SMPs

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has done an SMP program in the US and was successful at getting into a medical school afterwards? SMP programs are expensive and I was wondering if it is worth the extra 60K!
To my knowledge athe big ones are all receptive to taking Canadian students. What you have to worry about is whether or not MD schools will want you after you finish the program! The sample of international applicants who recover from GPA redemption to matriculate into a U.S. MD school seems to be so small as to be negligible, sad to say. Depending on your stats, you will probably have much better luck skipping the SMP and trying your luck with DO schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
To my knowledge athe big ones are all receptive to taking Canadian students. What you have to worry about is whether or not MD schools will want you after you finish the program! The sample of international applicants who recover from GPA redemption to matriculate into a U.S. MD school seems to be so small as to be negligible, sad to say. Depending on your stats, you will probably have much better luck skipping the SMP and trying your luck with DO schools.

Canadian applicants are banking on the linkage aspect of SMPs to get them into a medical school not the boost an SMP would provide to their general application to all schools. Off the top of my head Rosalind which takes up to half the SMP graduates into their medical class in some years is a good option(there are other ones as well).

but DO=IMG to Canada so its not that easy....I agree the SMP is overpriced and not necessarily helpful for a Canadian though

You're way better off to take 2 years and do a second undergrad for <20K in Canada

Reactions: 1 user
Canadian applicants are banking on the linkage aspect of SMPs to get them into a medical school not the boost an SMP would provide to their general application to all schools. Off the top of my head Rosalind which takes up to half the SMP graduates into their medical class in some years is a good option(there are other ones as well).
IMHO, there are only two programs that would not be an incredibly foolish 25k+ gamble in such a scenario: Temple and Tulane.

but DO=IMG to Canada so its not that easy....I agree the SMP is overpriced and not necessarily helpful for a Canadian though
Oh I'm aware. Like the majority of Canadians seeking GPA redemption in the U.S., OP will likely have to choose between being a doctor and living in Canada. It's a bummer, but denying reality doesn't make it better.

SMP's are cash cows. Of course they would be friendly to Canadians (or anyone who can pay for that matter)

SMP's are cash cows. Of course they would be friendly to Canadians (or anyone who can pay for that matter)
Not really, not for the established ones at least. SMPs look for people that they think will be successful in their program.

There are certainly plenty of scams out there that prey on desperate people.

IMHO, there are only two programs that would not be an incredibly foolish 25k+ gamble in such a scenario: Temple and Tulane.

Oh I'm aware. Like the majority of Canadians seeking GPA redemption in the U.S., OP will likely have to choose between being a doctor and living in Canada. It's a bummer, but denying reality doesn't make it better.

Tulane you need to have a waitlist from an MD school to be eligible. Temple is great but its a very specific thing that only have a handful of people in the program. Rosalind Franklin was the one I think that half the SMP graduates or close to it go onto their medical school. With a high enough MCAT score, it's perhaps feasible a very strong showing at a well regarded SMP like Georgetown could get an international an MD acceptance somewhere but that's a rather big if.

I agree though, not the greatest gamble in the world to say the least(you know all about my takes on SMPs and all my cautionary tales lol) . But if you are boning for an MD in the US and are the type who just isn't interested in a DO at all(which is a whole separate discussion) it's perhaps the most feasible option. Getting another degree won't bump your GPA up high enough to be a legitimate candidate in the majority of cases be it for Canadian schools or US. And having a 37-38 type MCAT score if you don't have a great GPA(which is what you'll need to have a shot as a Canadian applicant) isn't just something the majority of people can just go out for study for and just get.

You are right though, its a sad reality for Canadians. Imagine the people in top 20 med schools in the US who would have gotten get screened out from not having an 11 on the verbal like some Canadian schools do.

Tulane you need to have a waitlist from an MD school to be eligible. Temple is great but its a very specific thing that only have a handful of people in the program. Rosalind Franklin was the one I think that half the SMP graduates or close to it go onto their medical school. With a high enough MCAT score, it's perhaps feasible a very strong showing at a well regarded SMP like Georgetown could get an international an MD acceptance somewhere but that's a rather big if.

I agree though, not the greatest gamble in the world to say the least(you know all about my takes on SMPs and all my cautionary tales lol) . But if you are boning for an MD in the US and are the type who just isn't interested in a DO at all(which is a whole separate discussion) it's perhaps the most feasible option. Getting another degree won't bump your GPA up high enough to be a legitimate candidate in the majority of cases be it for Canadian schools or US. And having a 37-38 type MCAT score if you don't have a great GPA(which is what you'll need to have a shot as a Canadian applicant) isn't just something the majority of people can just go out for study for and just get.

You are right though, its a sad reality for Canadians. Imagine the people in top 20 med schools in the US who would have gotten get screened out from not having an 11 on the verbal like some Canadian schools do.
The scary thing is there is no data showing what happens to the Canadians who do well in the program, which raises several questions. The best we get is a list showing one Canadian med school where one program grad went Are U.S. MD schools willing to take a second look at low-GPA Canadians? Are Canadian MD schools willing to take a second look at low-GPA Canadians? Do Canadian MD schools know anything about SMPs? The whole thing is just one big question mark.

I dunno man, I can't think of any MD schools (or DO schools for that matter) that are ok with spending a ton of money educating Canadians only to have them go back home to practice. On SDN at least, AdCom members generally say that U.S. trained medical students are expected to practice in the U.S. Top schools are an exception, but they are out of the question here for obvious reasons. So, I guess this leaves low-GPA Canadians with three options:

1.) Do something else.
-As with most GPA redemption stories, this is probably the most practical decision.

2.) Practice medicine in the U.S.
-As I said, medical schools in the U.S. want to train U.S. physicians. Frankly, I don't think it's asking that much considering that they are willing to spend all of this time and money on you. We haven't even discussed all of the problems that come up during residency (green card/visa)!

3.) Figure out a way to get into Canadian MD schools.
No idea. I'm sure there are sources of knowledge on this on SDN if you look hard enough.

Of course they could lie and say they want to stay... but we'll just pretend that everyone's above that.

Last edited: