Canadian GP here, 7+ years in practice. Ask me anything.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guyver00

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very little info about Canadian dentist on here, and seems like there are some interest, so AMA.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Do you think practicing in America is better than practicing in Canada in terms of income? Do you see this changing in the future?
2. Is the rise of corporate dental chains more pronounced in America or in Canada? How are the laws regulating corporate dentistry in Canada?
3. Are there any places in Canada where there is a real shortage of dentists?
4. How much money do you make?

Reactions: 1 user
1) Yes, at least nominal-wise and net-wise, you will make more in the States. Higher competition for sure so you have to not suck. Although mobility in between states is not as easy as in between provinces, as far as I understand.

2) Not too common in Canada than US, although I'm seeing more of their ads on magazine. 123dentistry, Aarm and Dentalcorp come to mind. As long as the voting shares are held by licensed dentists, it's OK.

3) Anywhere that aren't Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. The further out in the boonies, the higher income. Draw back is there is jack **** to do afterwork.

4) 6 figures in 6 months, gross.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not possible for Cdn dentists to own a practice in the US, unless you are a US citizen, but can you buy into a practice as a partner?

It's not possible for Cdn dentists to own a practice in the US, unless you are a US citizen, but can you buy into a practice as a partner?

I really have no idea about Canadian DMD owning practice in US, and vice versa. AFAIK, if you're Canadian, you're legally required to have the provincial license for owning the practice, ie BC license for BC practice. Best ask the local board/college for a clear response. I suppose if you set up a corporation in US, you could own a practice in the States?

If someone graduates as US dentist, takes the boards and such, can they just apply to work in Canada? Or do they take boards there ? (im assuming they have to take canadian boards?)
Do you know the process to work in canada as an american dentist? Do you know any american dentist working in canada?
Thanks!

Is the dentist market in the major Canadian cities becoming too saturated? Roughly how much in earnings can one expect to make annually working in a competitive, saturated market?

1) Yes, at least nominal-wise and net-wise, you will make more in the States. Higher competition for sure so you have to not suck. Although mobility in between states is not as easy as in between provinces, as far as I understand.

2) Not too common in Canada than US, although I'm seeing more of their ads on magazine. 123dentistry, Aarm and Dentalcorp come to mind. As long as the voting shares are held by licensed dentists, it's OK.

3) Anywhere that aren't Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. The further out in the boonies, the higher income. Draw back is there is jack **** to do afterwork.

4) 6 figures in 6 months, gross.
Thank you so much.

How much we taking about in terms of income in the boonies?

Also, what do you think of Canadian Ted Cruz?

If someone graduates as US dentist, takes the boards and such, can they just apply to work in Canada? Or do they take boards there ? (im assuming they have to take canadian boards?)
Do you know the process to work in canada as an american dentist? Do you know any american dentist working in canada?
Thanks!

Canadians studied in the States can apply to take the NDEB exam. It consists of MC questions on dental science, and MC questions related to treatment planning. No hands-on practical.

You will have to look up working VISA for Americans, I'm not familiar at all.

Is the dentist market in the major Canadian cities becoming too saturated? Roughly how much in earnings can one expect to make annually working in a competitive, saturated market?

Pretty much, I remember the rule-of-thumb is to have 1000 patients to one DMD, 1500 is best. Vancouver, AFAIK, is below 1000. Not sure about the stats of Toronto and Montreal, I assume they'd be similar.

In city, I guess breaking 6 figures in 12 months? I used to work in a secondary city, working 4 days a week and made that.

Thank you so much.

How much we taking about in terms of income in the boonies?

Also, what do you think of Canadian Ted Cruz?

Let's just say I make the same in 6 months in the boonies as 12 months in a secondary city. No idea who Canadian Ted Cruz is, T2?

Would you say becoming a dentist in canada (Ontario) is still worth it if i have to pay 400k tuition?

Would you say becoming a dentist in canada (Ontario) is still worth it if i have to pay 400k tuition?

Can't give you the answer on that one, you have to figure that one yourself. Is it $400k for a degree now? It's more than double of my tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't give you the answer on that one, you have to figure that one yourself. Is it $400k for a degree now? It's more than double of my tuition.
Are you happy with your career choice? Would you do it over again if you could back in time?

Do you ever feel like the grass is greener over on the med side?

Are you happy with your career choice? Would you do it over again if you could back in time?

It's a decent job, pays very well for the amount of work I need to do, but it get boring after awhile. Looking back I'd probably go into comp sci or business. I had an old boss who's been doing dentistry for 50+ years, and he's still excited about it everyday.

Do you ever feel like the grass is greener over on the med side?

Not really. I know someone who's a GP in BC, she works 5 hrs a day, not because it's slow, but because she would hit her daily patient limit by 10am. MD's salary is all based on the government's whim. If you're going to MD, as un-Canadian as this may sound, head South to make your life, you'd have more autonomy and better life quality.

Not really. I know someone who's a GP in BC, she works 5 hrs a day, not because it's slow, but because she would hit her daily patient limit by 10am. MD's salary is all based on the government's whim. If you're going to MD, as un-Canadian as this may sound, head South to make your life, you'd have more autonomy and better life quality.
I didn't know there was a patient limit in BC. Then again, isn't that a good thing? 5 hrs a day for the max salary the gov allows? :p

I didn't know there was a patient limit in BC. Then again, isn't that a good thing? 5 hrs a day for the max salary the gov allows? :p

Which is really ****ty, according to her, because in Alberta it's limitless, so you can bust your ass all day to work as much as you want. I believe ON is double of BC, but the new left leaning government is going to make MD's lives a lot worse. I think in 5-10 years, you'll have better service in the States than in Canukstan.

I'm a Canadian studying in the States. I plan on going back to Canada to practice. Before getting into dental school I did three years of shadowing a few Canadian dentists, so I know a little about how it works and received a ton of advice from the doctors. What school did you attend? Do you own your own practice? If so, whereabouts and how many years did you work before buying the practice?

Hi, can Canadian graduates take the board exam in the States? Another question, can Canadian dentists own practice in the States? Thanks

Thanks for making this post. I've been curious for a while! You've already answered most of the questions I thought to come up with.

You said 6 figures in 6 months, gross. Is this typical for most boonie dentists? How many hours per week do you work? How many weeks vacation per year? Is it your own practice, or do you work for someone at their practice, or did you buy in as a partner?

I'm a Canadian studying in the States. I plan on going back to Canada to practice. Before getting into dental school I did three years of shadowing a few Canadian dentists, so I know a little about how it works and received a ton of advice from the doctors. What school did you attend? Do you own your own practice? If so, whereabouts and how many years did you work before buying the practice?

UBC. I don't own my practice, and I don't think I will in the near future, because I prefer not to deal with headaches.

Hi, can Canadian graduates take the board exam in the States? Another question, can Canadian dentists own practice in the States? Thanks

You mean the NBDE? Yeah, you can take part 1+2 during school years. No idea to your second question.

Thanks for making this post. I've been curious for a while! You've already answered most of the questions I thought to come up with.

You said 6 figures in 6 months, gross. Is this typical for most boonie dentists? How many hours per week do you work? How many weeks vacation per year? Is it your own practice, or do you work for someone at their practice, or did you buy in as a partner?

Yeah, I think my friend makes >$200k a year working year round. I work 5 days a week, 7.5 hrs a day. I choose my time off, I worked 130 to 180 days a year. I'm only an associate.

Can you please share some income projections in urban BC areas- Victoria, etc? Some sources I've seen indicate ~$70K/yr CAD for full-time work. Is this true?

Can you please share some income projections in urban BC areas- Victoria, etc? Some sources I've seen indicate ~$70K/yr CAD for full-time work. Is this true?

Hard to say, I worked in Vic 5-6 years ago. I remember I cleared $100k in a year, I was working 4.5 days a week, including some evenings and weekends (Sat/Sun).

1) Any areas on the island or coast, you'd recommend based on income?

2) To reiterate "Bernie Sander's" question up there, when the CAD is in its natural state of being closer to the USD, do you foresee the Canadian market better for dentists? Monetarily, and just overall as a practitioner.

3) Is long term disability, malpractice and other costs cheaper than the states?

4) So as an associate you seem to cap at 100k/year in the city, or 200/year in the boonies, would owning a practice make for a huge difference in income? (Not saying you should, because I agree with you, more time to do **** you want to do instead of chasing ol' Queen Lizzy).

P.S. For other people looking around, many dentists near large First Nation reserves or up North make a killing, from what I've heard. I've heard of Vancouver dentists pulling in 200k/year, but you never know if they're associates or not. Also, Alberta may spend more on healthcare, but I read BC has better health outcomes.

1) Any areas on the island or coast, you'd recommend based on income?

2) To reiterate "Bernie Sander's" question up there, when the CAD is in its natural state of being closer to the USD, do you foresee the Canadian market better for dentists? Monetarily, and just overall as a practitioner.

3) Is long term disability, malpractice and other costs cheaper than the states?

4) So as an associate you seem to cap at 100k/year in the city, or 200/year in the boonies, would owning a practice make for a huge difference in income? (Not saying you should, because I agree with you, more time to do **** you want to do instead of chasing ol' Queen Lizzy).

P.S. For other people looking around, many dentists near large First Nation reserves or up North make a killing, from what I've heard. I've heard of Vancouver dentists pulling in 200k/year, but you never know if they're associates or not. Also, Alberta may spend more on healthcare, but I read BC has better health outcomes.

It's all about lifestyle choice. If you want to live in Vic, you have more competition. If you want to make money, smaller towns such as Comox, Courtney, or Campbell River, then you're away from the city. Can't really recommend any town as I haven't worked on the island for a few years.

My crystal ball is broken, will have to get back to your #2 question later.

No clue. I'm paying about $2k for disabilities of $5k payout. Malpractice is about $1.5k for $3 million, which is bare minimum in BC.

Probably, I don't know the details. You can control overheads better, as well as having a side income stream via the hygienists. You will definitely make more owning than associating, but you're also taking on a bigger responsibility, and taking work home.

Alberta dentists definitely make more, as Alberta doesn't have a fee guide, unlike BC. So you could have a RCT that cost $1,500 in Alberta, that the BC fee guide is around $800. It's a guide afterall, so you can charge however much you want.

Probably, I don't know the details. You can control overheads better, as well as having a side income stream via the hygienists. You will definitely make more owning than associating, but you're also taking on a bigger responsibility, and taking work home.

Have you considered sharing ownership with a DSO such as 123dentistry or the Australian-owned DCC ? Where they take that load off, but you still make more?

Have you considered sharing ownership with a DSO such as 123dentistry or the Australian-owned DCC ? Where they take that load off, but you still make more?
You dont make more

Since when is dentalcorp australian owned?