Canadian in an awkward position for post-bac

Started by gue_ASYL
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gue_ASYL

lit'l Gue
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I am in a somewhat awkward position as far as pre-req courses are concerned. I believe I'm in a pretty bad position as far as marks are concerned. To top things off, I'm a Canadian so states schools will not accept me.

I got an undergrad from biomedical engineering. GPA is about 3.2-3.3. Currently doing grad school in chemical engineering. I realized it's the wrong field for me and I'm thinking of quitting with a Masters, GPA is about 3.8-4.0.

I've been surfing this site for a while now and noticed that a lot of people go back to get a post-bac to boost their undergrad GPA and/or fulfill the pre-reqs. I'm trying to decide between doing that or just finishing my pre-reqs part-time. From my undergrad I have the following courses already: Chem 1, Calculus, Physics 1 and 2, Orgo 1. I also have some advanced biology courses (mainly from grad school) but not the freshman bio courses.

Please give me some advice and if you know a few programs that I can try (and actually be able to get in!) please let me know. I am in Philly now and due to personal reasons would like to stay in the area (within 2 or 3 hours from Philly is ok too).

Thanks!
 
um, your GPA's fine (assuming what you posted is out of a 4.0 scale)

As far as private schools, there's Penn, Drexel, St. Joe's, Delaware Valley.. just do a search for colleges in PA
 
sidewalkman said:
um, your GPA's fine (assuming what you posted is out of a 4.0 scale)

As far as private schools, there's Penn, Drexel, St. Joe's, Delaware Valley.. just do a search for colleges in PA

Well, judging from the postings from this forum it look like I should improve my GPA. Problem is of course, I took about 1/2 of the science pre-reqs already so the school might not let me in. Also, more importantly, does anyone know of post-bac programs that take non-US citizens and residents?