Canadian J1 for US fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

harrynthia

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am Canadian citizen. Will finish US neurology residency in 3 years using H1b visa. Thinking to continue behavior neurology fellowship in US for 1-2 years and then go back to Canada for practice. Can I use J1 visa to do the fellowship? If so, do I need to pass any canadian exams in order to get the J1 visa? Thank you very much for your input.
 
Last edited:
I am Canadian citizen. Will finish US neurology residency in 3 years using H1b visa. Thinking to continue behavior neurology fellowship in US for 1-2 years and then go back to Canada for practice. Can I use J1 visa to do the fellowship? If so, do I need to pass any canadian exams in order to get the J1 visa? Thank you very much for your input.


the j-1 visa is possible, ECFMG does not ask you for Canadian exams, but you have to get a Statement of Need from Canada, and you have to follow Canada's requirements. contact "[email protected]" for information on statement of need.
 
the j-1 visa is possible, ECFMG does not ask you for Canadian exams, but you have to get a Statement of Need from Canada, and you have to follow Canada's requirements. contact "[email protected]" for information on statement of need.

To get a J1 you will have to write the MCC exams, at least the first one. Its a royal pain.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To get a J1 you will have to write the MCC exams, at least the first one. Its a royal pain.

Not to mention 1500$ just for MCCEE! 👎
It seems like everyone wants a piece of money that I don't have.

To register you have to do so much. And pay additional fees. $250, 250$ there. 1500$ for this test... etc.. etc... I wish it was as efficient as ECFMG.
 
Thanks, everyone. How about I go back to Canada for fellowship? Of course, I do not need the visa, but do I need to pass any exams since I am an IMG? Thanks again.