Canadian medical student pediatric residency in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gggggg2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have become interested in doing a residency in the US. One because I think it would be a good experience and two the competition for residency spots is projected to skyrocket in Canada in the coming years due to cutbacks. I am a second year now, and want to pursue pediatrics. However, I know that there is the issue of needing a visa. The J1 is one option, but the Canadian government is reducing them.

Also the training length of pediatrics is different in US, which is 3 years for general peds and 4 for general in Canada. So if I do a pediatric residency in US can I even come back and work in canada?

I want to do subspecialty training too, but will I have to leave the US after doing my first three years in Pediatrics? Can I just extend my visa?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is your question

edited to make it more clear. Basically I want to know if it is difficult for Canadians to match to US residency, if after doing the residency in US I will experience large barriers to returning to work in Canada, I know canada has issues that general peds is only 3 years in US but 4 in Canada - can subspecialty training get around this, and then just overall from someone who has gone through it all is it worth doing - or should I just focus my efforts and time on matching to canada

edited to make it more clear. Basically I want to know if it is difficult for Canadians to match to US residency, if after doing the residency in US I will experience large barriers to returning to work in Canada, I know canada has issues that general peds is only 3 years in US but 4 in Canada - can subspecialty training get around this, and then just overall from someone who has gone through it all is it worth doing - or should I just focus my efforts and time on matching to canada

If you want to practice in Canada after a US residency, you'd likely need to complete at least one year fellowship to be able to have the equivalent number of training years.

You can complete your residency training in the US. Canadian and US schools are both LCME accredited, so on paper they are equivalent. However, grading and clerkship experiences are often different, so saying that your chances of getting a spot are equal to a US grad is probably untrue. And the visa issue is an added problem.

To get a spot, you'd need to take the USMLE exams. Since you're a 2nd year now, it's worth thinking about whether you want to take Step 1 after your 2nd year (which is when most US grads take it). Score is important, so studying and doing as well as you can is important.

You'll also want US clinical rotations if possible. Early in your 4th year you'd want to rotate in Peds at a US school to gain letters and US experience.

The J visa could be a problem. But the 2019 J limits were recently released, and there was an increase in the peds quota from 30 to 45. Who knows what it will be when you actually need it.

The residency length issue is a problem. You could do a chief year (if selected). I find the explanation from Health Canada confusing, but it appears they no longer support J visas for most fellowships. There are limited 1 year fellowships after peds.

Tread carefully. Ask lots of questions.

If you want to practice in Canada, then just stay in Canada