Canadian Needs help with GPA!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

canuck2424

Future OD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everyone.

This is my first post on this site, I would like to give a shout out, really cool site with a bunch of info.

I am currently going to my 4th year of Science/Pre Opt in Waterloo, I have written the OAT and I am hoping to pursue a career in optometry. I am looking at applying in the US.

The first thing that hits me when I check out an application is the talk of GPA. Waterloo, uses a percentage scale grading system (1-100).

I then, tried to look up GPA calculators online, but everyone seemed to be a bit different (some had values over 4.00, etc), so I could use a bit of help? Is GPA standarized across the US, or does it depend on the school? Any link to a reliable calculator would be much appreciated

Thanks, 😀

Mark
 
Hi Mark,
I am also a Canadian student (4th yr at UWO), and I had the same problem as you concerning gpa. I posted the same question up on here and I was told to used the OMSAS conversion table for Canadian grades:
http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf

Hopefully that somewhat guides you in the right direction. Good luck with your applications!
 
cansnowflake said:
Hi Mark,
I am also a Canadian student (4th yr at UWO), and I had the same problem as you concerning gpa. I posted the same question up on here and I was told to used the OMSAS conversion table for Canadian grades:
http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf

Hopefully that somewhat guides you in the right direction. Good luck with your applications!
Awesomeness.

Thank You. Now I get to crunch some numbers and see what I turn up.

Also, as I forgot go mention in my opening post, I do go to the University Waterloo, and if anyone had any questions concering Waterloo (if they are going there for optometry or such) I could do my best to answer them, (or if you had any Canada Related Questions such as how to build a snowman 🙄 , or ice hockey tips 😉 I would be happy to answer them 😛 )

Mark
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
canuck2424 said:
Awesomeness.

Thank You. Now I get to crunch some numbers and see what I turn up.

Also, as I forgot go mention in my opening post, I do go to the University Waterloo, and if anyone had any questions concering Waterloo (if they are going there for optometry or such) I could do my best to answer them, (or if you had any Canada Related Questions such as how to build a snowman 🙄 , or ice hockey tips 😉 I would be happy to answer them 😛 )

Mark

these are what most schools use:

A 93-100% C 73-76%
A- 90-92% C- 70-72%
B+ 87-89% D+ 68-69%
B 83-86% D 65-67%
B- 80-82% F below 65%
C+ 77-79%
 
If such system are the same with CDN schools, then we'll be in trouble.
THis is what my school system uses:
A+: 90-100
A : 85-90
A-: 80-84
B+: 76-79
B : 72-75
B-: 69-71
C+: 64-68
C :60-63
C-: 55-59
D: 50-54
F: <50
 
Katalio said:
If such system are the same with CDN schools, then we'll be in trouble.
THis is what my school system uses:
A+: 90-100
A : 85-90
A-: 80-84
B+: 76-79
B : 72-75
B-: 69-71
C+: 64-68
C :60-63
C-: 55-59
D: 50-54
F: <50

wow! i've never heard of that scale before... that's incredible ... B-=69... if only i had that..
 
drbizzaro said:
wow! i've never heard of that scale before... that's incredible ... B-=69... if only i had that..

That is the scale that my university in Canada uses, as do most of the ones friends of mine go to.
 
cansnowflake said:
That is the scale that my university in Canada uses, as do most of the ones friends of mine go to.

I heard in Waterloo you need an 80 at least to get a B
 
duracell said:
Nope, at waterloo we use the OMSAS standard (Ontario Medical School etc...) way of grading things. From what the guy above linked: http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf

So an 80 is A-


We have a ton of Canadians at ICO and I was talking to some of them about the grading scale differences. They said the grading scale in Canada is "easier" b/c the test are a lot harder than the tests in the US. I can't say either way b/c I never have taken a test in Canada. But, if they are harder, then the grading scale makes up for it. So, taking that all into consideration, in my OPINION I would guess that the GPAs between US and Canadian schools are equal. We have easier tests, but they have easier grading.
 
rpames said:
We have a ton of Canadians at ICO and I was talking to some of them about the grading scale differences. They said the grading scale in Canada is "easier" b/c the test are a lot harder than the tests in the US. I can't say either way b/c I never have taken a test in Canada. But, if they are harder, then the grading scale makes up for it. So, taking that all into consideration, in my OPINION I would guess that the GPAs between US and Canadian schools are equal. We have easier tests, but they have easier grading.

i guess that makes sense...