Canadian Needs Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zigo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time creeper, first time poster

I am from Canada, specifically a 4th year undergrad and I've been struggling to get into pharmacy for all 4 years. I will be applying to the UofA this year, but no other pharm schools in Canada as they are too hard for me.

But I was looking to expand my options past one school, namely the USA.

My GPA is pretty low, attaining 2.7/2.2/3.3 in my first, second and third year. Fourth year is looking amazing and will definitely bring up my prereq marks. I'd say around 3.7.

So with that in mind, what are some schools that I can apply to the USA in that I may have a shot at? Most of 'em seem to be 3.3+.

Are there any schools that drop your lowest year? Or only count your recent years? My first two years of university are really messing with me.

Members don't see this ad.

I am from Canada, specifically a 4th year undergrad and I've been struggling to get into pharmacy for all 4 years. I will be applying to the UofA this year, but no other pharm schools in Canada as they are too hard for me.

My GPA is pretty low, attaining 2.7/2.2/3.3 in my first, second and third year. Fourth year is looking amazing and will definitely bring up my prereq marks. I'd say around 3.7.

So with that in mind, what are some schools that I can apply to the USA in that I may have a shot at? Most of 'em seem to be 3.3+.

Are there any schools that drop your lowest year? Or only count your recent years? My first two years of university are really messing with me.

Hello, I'm in the same position as you.

I'm applying to U of A, UBC, UB (in the states) and UT.

My first year was crap (2.34) but I've improved every semester by 0.4 GPA/sememster so that my last semester was at 3.6. My third year (this year) is looking good too. I applied last year with a pre-req of 3.53 but got rejected. I suck at math so I can only upgrade sciences... so it looks like I'm going to get a 3.63 pre-req with 3.7 cgpa (U of A calculates cGPA as only your last 60 credits... so they basically drops your first two year) this year...

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Q19: How is admission averages calculated?. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A: The pre-professional courses form the bulk of your application package. The letter of intent helps us get acquainted with you, your reasons and aims in applying for a professional degree in Pharmacy. We calculate a GPA based on the required courses into your admission average. For students who have more than one year of post-secondary education, we also calculate a cumulative GPA on their last two years. A student who has also taken a full course load (*30/yr. or 5 courses/term) and achieved a competitive GPA are looked at more favorably.".
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
how are you increasing your pre-req so much? did you mean to say cGPA instead?

I'd say if you have the $$ then apply to some private schools (much easier to get into) in the states. Just get a good PCAT (I know U of A doesn't require one, but take it cause almost all state school needs them) and you should be in. The problem I have is that I can't really afford private school tuition so I'm applying to UB.

Good luck getting in this year!

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:

You should try Touro University (CA) and some of the newer schools if you can not take the PCAT. But, if you can score at least a 60< on the PCAT you would probably be a good candidate for about any pharmacy school. Good luck and stay focused!!