Canadian non-US IMG applying pediatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raizen22

Reaction score
Hey so I am applying for pediatrics residency this coming cycle. I went to a caribbean school so I will be on a J1 visa. Both my step 1 and ck scores are above a 250 which I realize is well above the national average for pediatrics residency however I was just wondering if people think it would still be worth applying to top tear schools and programs despite my IMG/J1 visa status. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey so I am applying for pediatrics residency this coming cycle. I went to a caribbean school so I will be on a J1 visa. Both my step 1 and ck scores are above a 250 which I realize is well above the national average for pediatrics residency however I was just wondering if people think it would still be worth applying to top tear schools and programs despite my IMG/J1 visa status. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks
You can try, but many top tier programs require more than good boards scores. Many applicants have MPHs and PhDs with strong extraclincal activities. Again, it doesn’t harm you to apply but I would cast a wider net.

Also, make sure they are willing to take visa applicants.