Canadian non-US IMG applying pediatrics

Started by raizen22
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

raizen22

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey so I am applying for pediatrics residency this coming cycle. I went to a caribbean school so I will be on a J1 visa. Both my step 1 and ck scores are above a 250 which I realize is well above the national average for pediatrics residency however I was just wondering if people think it would still be worth applying to top tear schools and programs despite my IMG/J1 visa status. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks
 
Hey so I am applying for pediatrics residency this coming cycle. I went to a caribbean school so I will be on a J1 visa. Both my step 1 and ck scores are above a 250 which I realize is well above the national average for pediatrics residency however I was just wondering if people think it would still be worth applying to top tear schools and programs despite my IMG/J1 visa status. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks
You can try, but many top tier programs require more than good boards scores. Many applicants have MPHs and PhDs with strong extraclincal activities. Again, it doesn’t harm you to apply but I would cast a wider net.

Also, make sure they are willing to take visa applicants.