Canadian OMFS applicant Inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

18MODL

Reaction score
Hi Yall,

Second year Canadian DDS student. Currently in the middle of exam period so its pretty hectic but I thought I'd post a question.

As of now, I'm relatively interested in pursuing omfs. I've purchased First Aid 2022, planning on getting other resources and start studying for the cbse sometime during winter break --> take the test in the summer.

I've looked online and gathered some information (cbse threshold scores etc.), but I'm still confused about match rates, schools to apply to etc. As a Canadian, we have limited options, and I know certain US schools wont consider non-US perm residents/citizens, so I'm in a relatively grey zone of knowledge.

Furthermore, as a Canadian applicant, I cant seem to find any info on match rates from our schools. Is there a resource or pool of information somewhere that might house these statistics?

I know I can spend more time looking at forums and gather almost all of this info, but I feel asking the question now might yield more up-to-date answers.

So in otherwords,
1)
which US schools are friendly for Canadian applicants (BOTH externship AND residency)
2) is research required? (I see a lot of residents that have published papers - I myself have 0 research experience).
and finally
3)
what are some general knowledge tips and not so spoken about cbse study resources that an applicant should know and utilize?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

1. Use CASSchoolPages and it’ll be your homework to find which ones are Canadian friendly. In regards to externships specifically, you’d have to email them but in general, the bigger hurdle is getting the student insurance schools require you to get as externships are generally friendly to Canadian students.

2. No

3. None, just use the tried and true methods. The Canadians that I know of had 80+ if they were straight out of school or 70+ if they had an internship under their belt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi Yall,

Second year Canadian DDS student. Currently in the middle of exam period so its pretty hectic but I thought I'd post a question.

As of now, I'm relatively interested in pursuing omfs. I've purchased First Aid 2022, planning on getting other resources and start studying for the cbse sometime during winter break --> take the test in the summer.

I've looked online and gathered some information (cbse threshold scores etc.), but I'm still confused about match rates, schools to apply to etc. As a Canadian, we have limited options, and I know certain US schools wont consider non-US perm residents/citizens, so I'm in a relatively grey zone of knowledge.

Furthermore, as a Canadian applicant, I cant seem to find any info on match rates from our schools. Is there a resource or pool of information somewhere that might house these statistics?

I know I can spend more time looking at forums and gather almost all of this info, but I feel asking the question now might yield more up-to-date answers.

So in otherwords,
1)
which US schools are friendly for Canadian applicants (BOTH externship AND residency)
2) is research required? (I see a lot of residents that have published papers - I myself have 0 research experience).
and finally
3)
what are some general knowledge tips and not so spoken about cbse study resources that an applicant should know and utilize?

Thank you :)
The closer the states are or programs are to canada in proximity, the more likely they have had experience taking canadian applicants and therefore "Canadian friendly." Keep in mind programs in NY state will require a residency first because you need to be eligible for a ny license before entering the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
The closer the states are or programs are to canada in proximity, the more likely they have had experience taking canadian applicants and therefore "Canadian friendly." Keep in mind programs in NY state will require a residency first because you need to be eligible for a ny license before entering the program.
thank you...

Quite discouraging, really. LSU and a few of my top choices seem to be out of reach - can't really think of too many other omfs programs that accept Canadians and have a fantastic full-scope residency.

thank you...

Quite discouraging, really. LSU and a few of my top choices seem to be out of reach - can't really think of too many other omfs programs that accept Canadians and have a fantastic full-scope residency.
Beggars can’t be choosy

Reactions: 1 user
Beggars can’t be choosy

Accurate statement. You shouldn’t feel discouraged when a US school prefers US residents funded by US money. Not ideal for Canadians but unfortunately, we just don’t have the population to warrant more seats in our own country.

thank you...

Doesnt hurt to try. I know University of Maryland, Emory, and a lot of the other large OMFS programs have historically taken residents.
Also 4 year programs are easier to attend because it is a simple TN visa to join the program. Whereas with med school the visa situation is a bit more complex. It is more common than you think so I would encourage you to apply widely.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesnt hurt to try. I know University of Maryland, Emory, and a lot of the other large OMFS programs have historically taken residents.
Also 4 year programs are easier to attend because it is a simple TN visa to join the program. Whereas with med school the visa situation is a bit more complex. It is more common than you think so I would encourage you to apply widely.
yeah thx. there's definitely a bunch of northern state schools that take canadians, heck some have majority canadians which I find very odd (not gonna mention which but I think we all have an idea). The south seems to be leaders in OMFS, but like others are saying - regardless of the program, youll still get a relatively decent exposure to maxilofacial surgery.