Canadian optometrists graduating from the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtrlOATgal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would any optometrists or optometry students know about the prospects of Canadians graduating from US schools like NECO, SUNY or Pacific and going back to work in Canada?

I am particularly interested in going to Alberta or BC, would any of you know how I could find out or if you yourself know from where most optometrists in those provinces graduate from? Does it really matter where you graduate from? Would it have to do with whom the school networks with in Canada?

Is the importance placed on the clinical experience you receive from a specific school? or is it from the school itself which embodies all- the curriculum, the clinical exposure and other extracurricular and optional clinical programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Would any optometrists or optometry students know about the prospects of Canadians graduating from US schools like NECO, SUNY or Pacific and going back to work in Canada?

I am particularly interested in going to Alberta or BC, would any of you know how I could find out or if you yourself know from where most optometrists in those provinces graduate from? Does it really matter where you graduate from? Would it have to do with whom the school networks with in Canada?

Is the importance placed on the clinical experience you receive from a specific school? or is it from the school itself which embodies all- the curriculum, the clinical exposure and other extracurricular and optional clinical programs?

Everything I've heard, and particularly about the West, is that no one cares where you went to school. I would expect that most OD's in Canada went to UW, but a larger proportion in the West are graduates of US programs.

I don't think it matters very much where you go, b/c there really aren't many networking opportunities with OD's in Canada. Most people go out and find their own opportunities. However, we have had a number of OD's come to ICO looking to hire associates in the past year. IRIS Optometry was also here doing a did presentation.