Canadian optometrists or students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've read quite a number of threads about the outlook of the optometry profession in the States, and was wondering what the Candadian optometrists or current Canadian optometry students can tell, in their opinion, about the future of our profession in Canada? (i.e. oversupply, increase in demand, salary, etc...)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard and from my optometrist, the oversupply in Canada is nothing like what people from the states seem to be saying. Since there are only 2 optometry schools in Canada, and the larger one just upped their class number to 90 this past fall, so far I've heard it's been easy for optometrists here to do what they want. I'm not sure about bigger cities like Toronto or Vancouver, but we also don't have such a huge commercial thing going on...I mean...definitely no optometrists in Wal-Marts!!! haha.

I've also shadowed 3 different optometrists, and each of them makes over $120,000. However, that may also be because they're working in Calgary. Go to Nova Scotia, or something like that where the economy isn't as big, and you can expect a dramatic decrease. Waterloo estimates that overall optometrists coming out of school will be making 70-80,000. I think that's a bit of an understatement however, but who knows...maybe the optometrists I shadowed were just extremely good at what they do?!?! Mind you, one of them was working for Visions, so that's a corporate job too.

As far as demand, I really don't think it will be going anywhere soon. Not as long as only approx. 150 optometrists are graduating (including those coming back from the states). Especially in the smaller communities.

That's just what I've seen...better outlook than the states I'd say.

Im not sure if this is correct, but i think if you make over 60k 35% goes to the government, so that may be a major downfall of working in Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since there are only 2 optometry schools in Canada, and the larger one just upped their class number to 90 this past fall, so far I've heard it's been easy for optometrists here to do what they want. I'm not sure about bigger cities like Toronto or Vancouver, but we also don't have such a huge commercial thing going on...I mean...definitely no optometrists in Wal-Marts!!! haha.

Actually, I have seen optometrists working in Walmart! But that was just in one of the superstores in the area, not all of them.

Also, an optometrist told me that it can be challenging to open up a private practice if you want to work somewhere in or around the GTA. So I guess the trick here is to choose your location carefully.

I highly doubt optometrists in Nova Scotia make more then optometrists in Alberta, sure they may be in demand, but they are everywhere out West too. I just don't see an optometrist out east starting out at over $100,000. They would be living the life! And yes, I have been to Nova Scotia and Cape Breton, and have heard first hand accounts from my boyfriend who is from Cape Breton.

Anywho, back to the point... optometry IS looking good for Canadians.

Cheers!

What is the general scope of practice for Canadian OD's? Is it similar to the US? Do you have oral drug priviledges, can you perform minor surgery, etc.

I highly doubt optometrists in Nova Scotia make more then optometrists in Alberta, sure they may be in demand, but they are everywhere out West too. I just don't see an optometrist out east starting out at over $100,000. They would be living the life! And yes, I have been to Nova Scotia and Cape Breton, and have heard first hand accounts from my boyfriend who is from Cape Breton.

Anywho, back to the point... optometry IS looking good for Canadians.

Cheers!

OD's in ontario can easily clear 100K, and that is under a restrictive "cost+plus" spectacle sales policy that really encumbers what an OD can charge for prescribed materials. I know of OD's that purposely located in NS b/c greater potential for income b/c they can charge retail prices, draw your own conclusions.

What is this cost+plus policy?

frames, lenses, CL's may only be sold at the price it cost the OD to purchase + dispensing fee (and your dispensing fee cannot be greater than what the college says it can be).