Canadian Optometry Post-graduation Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KHMK

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I haven't been able to find any previous threads with my questions so I decided to make my own thread! I apologize if I am asking a very typical question and/or repeated questions but the ones that were similar were many years old!

A little about me:

1. I'm going to be graduating from University of Waterloo and intend to work anywhere in the GTA but flexible to move around in Ontario depending on pay.
2. I won't be having my expenses paid for by my parents so I projected my total debt to be $140,000 after my 4 years of studies (including tuition, rent, food, transportation, the whole gig).
3. I HOPE to find a job ASAP after graduation/registration/testing.

My questions are:

1. Are there jobs currently paying 110K-130K/year as a starting salary IN ONTARIO? (I've checked job postings but almost none of them list the starting salary)
2. Does graduating with excellent standing matter in terms of job placement or is it marginal?
3. Does graduating with excellent standing matter in terms of how much I get paid?
4. If anyone else has been through a similar situation as mine such as having a huge debt over your head after graduation, please share your stories with me! I would love some insight on how to approach paying off the debt!

Once again, I'm sorry if the questions are repeated/typical!

KHMK

Members don't see this ad.

Graduation with excellent standing is a very small bargaining chip, it may help job placement slightly (especially for any employers that are Waterloo grads) but it isn't reflective of your ability to generate income for the practice and therefore a higher salary. It's obviously great to graduate in that standing, but you're still green to the field and without actual experience, it's hard to bargain a higher salary. Definitely shouldn't deter you from trying, though! Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
To answer your question #1 (and I am no expert) but I dont think the starting salary for optometrists in ontario is anywhere near 110-130K. You certainly would be lucky and fortunate to find one but from what I have seen on job postings its not close to those numbers. I have talked with a few optometrists and one in particular has had her own small practice for many years in the kitchener-waterloo region and she makes about 100K so I think those salary numbers are wishful thinking.

Hi, I haven't been able to find any previous threads with my questions so I decided to make my own thread! I apologize if I am asking a very typical question and/or repeated questions but the ones that were similar were many years old!

A little about me:

1. I'm going to be graduating from University of Waterloo and intend to work anywhere in the GTA but flexible to move around in Ontario depending on pay.
2. I won't be having my expenses paid for by my parents so I projected my total debt to be $140,000 after my 4 years of studies (including tuition, rent, food, transportation, the whole gig).
3. I HOPE to find a job ASAP after graduation/registration/testing.

My questions are:

1. Are there jobs currently paying 110K-130K/year as a starting salary IN ONTARIO? (I've checked job postings but almost none of them list the starting salary)
2. Does graduating with excellent standing matter in terms of job placement or is it marginal?
3. Does graduating with excellent standing matter in terms of how much I get paid?
4. If anyone else has been through a similar situation as mine such as having a huge debt over your head after graduation, please share your stories with me! I would love some insight on how to approach paying off the debt!

Once again, I'm sorry if the questions are repeated/typical!

KHMK

still a student here - but i think a lot of the jobs that have a higher starting salary are not advertised. networking probably will help significantly. advertise to cl/lens/equipment reps and other ODs in the area that you are looking. i found a job offer that way :) we didn't discuss salary but just saying !