Canadian pharmacist getting licensed in Nevada. Any info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharpcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a pharmacist in BC, Canada with 5 years experience and I am looking to work in the US (Nevada, specifically). I have researched this forum and the Nevada board of pharmacy but still am unclear as the the exact requirements and how to go about it.

Does anyone have any tips on how to start? Is it even worth the hassle?

I understand that ~1500 intern hours are required to apply for a license in Nevada along with passing the NAPLEX and MJPE. However I would require a TN or H1B visa before I could work? Also am I required to pass the NAPLEX and MJPE first before starting an internship or can that be done simultaneously?

Should I just start contacting chains hoping that they will assist me in the matter or is the market so saturated that there is no point?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Info on other states welcomed also!

Members don't see this ad.

What does a foreign graduate need to do to apply as a pharmacist in Nevada?

Unless the pharmacist graduated from a Canadian school of pharmacy, all other foreign graduates are required to successfully pass the FPGEE. If applying for the NAPLEX or reciprocating from another state, it is required to have the FPGEE certificate when submitting an application. As with all other potential examinees, an applicant is also required to complete 1,500 intern hours in the U.S., to have passing scores on both the NAPLEX and the MPJE, and to have a social security number.

http://bop.nv.gov/resources/FAQ/Licensing_CE_FAQ/

You should really contact the BOP for more information.

As for contacting chains.... good luck..... ~70% of Nevada's population is the Las Vegas area and the pharmacy school there (Roseman University of Health Sciences) is a 3-year program that pumps out 200+ graduates every year.

More remote areas... Mesquite has 3 chain pharmacies. Pahrump has 4. On I-80, Winnemuca has a Walmart, and Elko has a CVS, Smith's (in the Kroger family), Raley's, Kmart.

Last edited:
What does a foreign graduate need to do to apply as a pharmacist in Nevada?

Unless the pharmacist graduated from a Canadian school of pharmacy, all other foreign graduates are required to successfully pass the FPGEE. If applying for the NAPLEX or reciprocating from another state, it is required to have the FPGEE certificate when submitting an application. As with all other potential examinees, an applicant is also required to complete 1,500 intern hours in the U.S., to have passing scores on both the NAPLEX and the MPJE, and to have a social security number.

http://bop.nv.gov/resources/FAQ/Licensing_CE_FAQ/

You should really contact the BOP for more information.

As for contacting chains.... good luck..... ~70% of Nevada's population is the Las Vegas area and the pharmacy school there (Roseman University of Health Sciences) is a 3-year program that pumps out 200+ graduates every year.

More remote areas... Mesquite has 3 chain pharmacies. Pahrump has 4. On I-80, Winnemuca has a Walmart, and Elko has a CVS, Smith's (in the Kroger family), Raley's, Kmart.

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know how the job market is in general in Nevada or the Las Vegas area specifically?