Canadian Student at US med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karendong

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a canadian student, did undergrad in canada, now at Uhawaii and vaguely contemplating coming back to Canada mostly likely BC or Alberta. The Canadian schools are LCME accredited so do i need to do anything extra to apply for residency here? Will I be put into the second iteration of CaRMS like an international student?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Since you are a Canadian at a US school, I think you would be in the same pool as Canadians. IMGs have spots allocated in the first round anyways.

I'm a canadian student, did undergrad in canada, now at Uhawaii and vaguely contemplating coming back to Canada mostly likely BC or Alberta. The Canadian schools are LCME accredited so do i need to do anything extra to apply for residency here? Will I be put into the second iteration of CaRMS like an international student?

thanks!

To answer your questions, I am a fourth year med student at a US school who is Canadian. I am applying to BOTH CaRMS and ERAS this year. The way it works is that if you are from an LCME school, which you are! you will be eligable for the first itiration in Canada, you are NOT considered an IMG. You don't need anything extra to apply, but when you become a fourth year, or just before fourth year go on to the CaRMS website and check out all the dates, the request for registration etc.... they may be slightly different for US grads then Canadian grads, you might have to pay a little more too for registration (ie: 100-200 dollars) that being said bottom line:

1) you are in the FIRST itiration
2) you are NOT an IMG
3) if you match into CaRMS or ERAS the other pulls you out automatically, it depends which one goes first, this year its CaRMS, so if canada is your first choice it works in your benefit!!

goodluck

ocean11

Hi, I am also a Canadian who is studying at a U.S. allopathic school. I was just wondering, if I were to come back to Canada for residency, would I need to take any additional licensure examinations to the USMLEs?