Canadian student line of credit

Started by rayjay
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rayjay

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For all you Canadians that went to or are planning on heading down under for med school in the coming year, who did you go with for student loans and why?

- RBC and BMO seem to offer almost identical options (unless I am missing something).
- How did you transfer money without paying huge transfer fees?
- If you are on repayment, what is the monthly repayment like? Do you only pay the interest during your residency?


I got assessed about $14k/year from BC/Canada student loans. Is there any way to get this amount increased? I know some provinces allow you to re-negotiate (e.g. NS) but I'm not sure what that actually gives you.

I appreciate your input!
 
- i got one with TD, just because myself + family member + cosigner have been using TD for long time.

- xe.com is safe and convenient way to transfer money from canada.... a friend also recommended it to me and i've been using it ever since. bit of hassle setting it up but once you have that going, it's easy.

- $14k/year from osap? you are already getting heaps more than some people including myself. i've never tried, but i don't think they will increase it too much anyway. plus, the their interest rate is waaaay higher than private loans 🙁
 
no I'm not on OSAP, I know you guys get screwed from Ontario. I'm on BC student loans. AB apparently gives a lot more but AB is AB...

Thanks for the tips on Xe, I'll have to look into that!