Canadian student needing mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plant based

TUSPM Class of 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there Podiatry students :)

I'm a Canadian undergrad student that is super interested in Podiatry but I don't really know much about the application process/where to start really. Is there any Podiatry students on here that are from Canada that could help me out? A lot of the stuff I read online is more centred towards American students.

If someone could help me out/mentor me I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! So the info book produced by the AACPM is a good starting resource http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/pdfs/2015 CIB.pdf

The only school that doesn't accept Canadians is DMU. Most of the schools have pretty good Intl. Student resource pages on their websites. I'm going to Midwestern next year and there was no special requirements or anything (I'm from Western Canada) so feel free to ask or pm me any specific questions. As far as practicing podiatry in Canada it really depends on the province. Alberta and BC have a fairly wide scope of practice and many Podiatrists have surgical privileges (not all though), Ontario has quite a narrow scope in an effort to promote Chiropody (a non-surgical podiatry-like profession. There is a program at the Michener Institute in Ontario....I know basically nothing about this field), the other provinces are somewhere in-between.

Have you shadowed a podiatrist yet? What year are you in?

The best thing you can do is shadow some DPMs, get good grades, take the MCAT, and try to stress as little as possible :) Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you so much, I'll definitely read that over. :)

I'm also from Western Canada :) Alberta, specifically. That's all very good to know... thank you.

Not yet - I'm hoping to ASAP though. I'm in my 5th year of undergrad.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely message you for any questions :)