Audio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Toronto
Status
Hey everyone,

I'm in my third year at the University of Toronto. My GPA is a 3.63. I have yet to take the DAT. I am really interested in being a dentist. How do I go about doing it?

When do I apply to the American schools. Does the application cycle start in June like for meds? Also, can I submit my application without a DAT score. I think the DAT is offered in November here in Canada so can I submit my application in June (or whenever) and then take the DAT and have my scores forwarded later? Will this kill any chance I have?

Also, which schools really take a lot of Canadians? I heard BU does. Which schools should I apply to?

Basically, do I have a chance applying without having my DAT score?

Thanks so much for your replies!

The Musketeer

Guardian of Justice
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Cleveland (ON, Can)
Visit site
Status
Dentist
Hey Audio, American application cycle usually begins in mid May (that is when the online application is available for you to start filling out). As you may know, they have a rolling admission, which means the earlier you've completed and sumbitted the application to AADSAS, the better your chances are in getting interviews and acceptances. Usually it will take about 1 month for your application to be processed and sent to the schools that you've chosen and usually the best time to submit the application is around July to end of August.

Having said that, because DAT scores will be sent separately from your AADSAS application to the schools, most schools will usually concider your application incomplete unless if they received all of the following items: AADSAS application, required letter of references, DAT scores, and secondaries (if they require one). Because you are going to take the DAT in November, this means that the schools will not be able to get your scores until likely late December to early January, hence your application will not be complete until then. Without a complete application, you will probably not be granted any interviews as well.

So this leaves you with two major options:

1) Drive to Buffalo and take the American DAT (because you can take the test anytime)

2) Since you have high GPA, you can just stick with the Canadian DAT and I am sure many schools will still ask you for an interview in January.

As for which schools to apply, all private dental instituations are usually Canadian friendly.

List of all Private Schools: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1476642&postcount=27

Audio said:
Hey everyone,

I'm in my third year at the University of Toronto. My GPA is a 3.63. I have yet to take the DAT. I am really interested in being a dentist. How do I go about doing it?

When do I apply to the American schools. Does the application cycle start in June like for meds? Also, can I submit my application without a DAT score. I think the DAT is offered in November here in Canada so can I submit my application in June (or whenever) and then take the DAT and have my scores forwarded later? Will this kill any chance I have?

Also, which schools really take a lot of Canadians? I heard BU does. Which schools should I apply to?

Basically, do I have a chance applying without having my DAT score?

Thanks so much for your replies!

OP
Audio

Audio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Toronto
Status
Thanks a lot for the reply Musk. Do you think I'll have a shot waiting to write the Canadian DAT in November?

The Musketeer

Guardian of Justice
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Cleveland (ON, Can)
Visit site
Status
Dentist
Audio said:
Thanks a lot for the reply Musk. Do you think I'll have a shot waiting to write the Canadian DAT in November?
If you keep up with your 3.63 GPA and have about 20 on most section in the Canadian DAT (not including curving section), ya, you will still have a good chance of getting into most of the schools.

I know a Canadian from Case in my year, he also had around a 3.6 GPA and completed his application in Feb and got an interview for the alternate list at Case in March and got accepted in July....so it is possible.

Good Luck!