Canadian Students Qustion!

Started by Hamtaro
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hamtaro

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just wanted to make sure that as a Canadian student, all I need to do is to show my I-20 form to the US customs while crossing the border in order to study in the USA. How long does this whole process take? Do I need to check in the airport like 4-5 hours earlier in order to get my paper work done?
Any Canadian students out there can give me some info?

thank you.
 
I am not sure if the procedure for entry will be different for you since you are flying (I am driving) but I was instructed by my school and friends who go to school in the states, to carry my I-20 (all pages), my passport, in addition to my proof of financial security letter.
Try phoning your school to talk to the international students advisor, I'm sure he/she could give you more concrete info.
Hope this helps. 😀
 
ya i was wondering the same thing before. I think science is right. Us canadians dont need a visa etc. just the I-20 (well thats what my school told me) 👍
 
you get your F1 visa at the border. The border agent will fill it up, you sign it, and you'll be off. Shouldn't take more than 5 extra minutes, unless they are suspicious of something. I think you might be fingerprinted nowadays too but I'm not too sure about that.