canadian students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carizma12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how are canadian students funding for the majority of their education in the US?

bank/government loans usually dont give out enough to cover everything, so what are the other options?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there

I'm a Canadian student heading to ICO in the fall and I've been researching my options for funding. So far I've come up with the following resources:

- Government/Provincial loans (not a whole lot, but better than nothing!)
- Student line of credit from RBC or BMO
- My own savings
- Some help from parents

Most Canadian students I've talked to who are currently in opto school have given me the same four resources, with the exception of the CanHelp student loans, which I haven't looked into too much just because I've heard the interest rates are a little higher.

hey thanks!

anyone know nething about national bank?

also, what is the Max BMO will give?

Members don't see this ad :)
For Optometry school they give a maximum of $80,000 (max of $20,000 per year). The same goes for TD Canada Trust and CIBC.

I believe RBC may give a little more depending on your situation (credit rating, financial need etc). But the best thing to do would be to go visit each bank individually and discuss your options. Some banks may be a little more flexible than others. Good luck!

hey thanks! i actually got a loan from national bank! they're giving $30,000 a year (120,000 in total) at an interest rate of prime..

Wow thats great! I'm definately going to look into them! $30000 is definately alot more than what the main banks are offering. And prime is pretty attractive too.