Canadian Trained Pharmacist Relocating to the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenadrylPRN

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm a Canadian trained pharmacist planning to relocate to the US. I need some help from those who have gone through this process or who have some knowledge about the licensure process for some states in the US
As per the Michigan Pharmacist Licensing Guide, it seems that Canadian Pharmacists who have completed 1600 hours of pharmacy practice can be licensed to practise in Michigan if their PEBC result (part 1 and 2), Certificate of Pharmacy education and MPJE results have been received. It sounds too good to be true in comparison to other states requirements. Can anyone confirm if this is the case.
Also, are there other states in the US that have exemptions to FPGEE and TOEFL for Canadian trained pharmacists?

PS: I have contacted the Board of pharmacy for Michigan, still waiting for a response

Members don't see this ad.

It's still the case unless you came from Laval or Montreal (the French speaking universities) due to the curricular differences. There used to be criteria that you had to work in MI for a two year period and the province allows for MI licensed to be endorsed there (still is the case for endorsement aka "reciprocity" but no longer for by examination. That was taken out in the last couple of years. There's nationality matters though as well that apply to all licensed personnel in MI, so it's not just the pharmacy regulations that apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the reply.
Can you please elaborate more on “no longer for by examination”? I’m not sure I understand that correctly.
Also, by nationality, would being a Canadian suffice or you have to be an American to be able to practice in Michigan?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the reply.
Can you please elaborate more on “no longer for by examination”? I’m not sure I understand that correctly.
Also, by nationality, would being a Canadian suffice or you have to be an American to be able to practice in Michigan?
You have to have a nationality that allows USMCA work access, so citizen works but other statuses are beyond my knowledge.

I'm in the same boat! Canadian (from ontario) hoping to find work in Michigan. How did you take the MPJE? When i tried to sign up on the NABP website, they told me I needed to complete the FPGEE and TOEFL. How do I sign up for just the MPJE, as i should be exempt in michigan?

you Apply through the MIchigan board of pharmacy site i beleive, its quite unclear, but NO you dont need a TOEFL or FPGEE. I Beleive NABP communicates with The Board of michigan and between the two elligbility is authorized.

I'm in the same boat! Canadian (from ontario) hoping to find work in Michigan. How did you take the MPJE? When i tried to sign up on the NABP website, they told me I needed to complete the FPGEE and TOEFL. How do I sign up for just the MPJE, as i should be exempt in michigan?
I have not taken the MPJE exam but you can't just sign up for the exam. You have to email NABP to assess your eligibility. Once that's done, you will be given access to write the exam

Hello everyone,
I'm a Canadian trained pharmacist planning to relocate to the US. I need some help from those who have gone through this process or who have some knowledge about the licensure process for some states in the US
As per the Michigan Pharmacist Licensing Guide, it seems that Canadian Pharmacists who have completed 1600 hours of pharmacy practice can be licensed to practise in Michigan if their PEBC result (part 1 and 2), Certificate of Pharmacy education and MPJE results have been received. It sounds too good to be true in comparison to other states requirements. Can anyone confirm if this is the case.
Also, are there other states in the US that have exemptions to FPGEE and TOEFL for Canadian trained pharmacists?

PS: I have contacted the Board of pharmacy for Michigan, still waiting for a response
would you please help me i sent all requirement and waiting .. is it right no need for fpge or english ..
where are you now and what do you think if we need to move to another state .. thank you

would you please help me i sent all requirement and waiting .. is it right no need for fpge or english ..
where are you now and what do you think if we need to move to another state .. thank you
im searching now all other states ..

WHERE are you now .. i submitted all paper .. i need to talk to you by phone if we can help each other

WHERE are you now .. i submitted all paper .. i need to talk to you by phone if we can help each other
To answer your question, you just have to wait until they respond. It takes time. If you think it's taking too long (more than 3-4 weeks), you can send a followup email

That's right. You don't need any exam besides the Michigan MPJE if you are a CANADIAN trained pharmacist. You will need to send your documents i.e., transcripts, PEBC results, letter of good standing from your college of pharmacy etc.
Getting licensed in Michigan does not mean you're licensed in other states. You will have to write the exams (TOEFL, FPGEE, NAPLEX, MPJE) for other states.

I don't have much to add, except having dealt with several state boards of pharmacy, and NABP for over 40 years, I can say that rational and reasonable, doesn't describe them. They can say and do whatever they want, and we are at their mercy.
Funny, requiring a test of English as a foreign language (TOEFL) from Canadians!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

Did you hear back from board of pharmacy for Michigan?

Any ideas for a UBC trained pharmacist working in British Columbia to get a Washington state license?

Any ideas for a UBC trained pharmacist working in British Columbia to get a Washington state license?
I am quite sure you have to write the exams, Toefl, FPGEE, NAPLEX etc for Seattle. The only state that waives that is Michigan for Canadian pharmacists. You can email the board of pharmacy to get an accurate answer though.

Hello everyone,

Apologies to everyone who has asked a question and didn’t get a response.
I finished the process for getting my license in Michigan last year and it was actually not too difficult.
This is the summary of it:
For pharmacists trained in Canada who have practised in Canada, you do not need to write any exam. The Toefl, FPGEE and NAPLEX exams are waived! I had to write the mpje (equivalent to our jurisprudence exam but I believe as of Feb or March this year, that is now being waived too (for American pharmacists for sure, not sure about Canadians though). You would just need to send your letter of good standing from your college of pharmacy in Canada, PEBC results, etc. Contact LARA if you have questions. Good luck!