Canadian undergrad -> American residency

Started by Sean1218
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sean1218

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it be better to go to a Canadian or US med school if I was planning on practicing in the US? Canadian med school tuition is a lot cheaper so that's definitely an incentive to stay at home, but I'm not sure of the process if I wanted to match to a US residency. Would it be difficult to become a US citizen (I've lived in Canada all my life, no family in the US)? Lastly, regarding licencing exams, when/how would I take USMLE step 1/2 at a Canadian school? Would I also be required to take MCCQE?
 
Last edited:
Would it be better to go to a Canadian or US med school if I was planning on practicing in the US? Canadian med school tuition is a lot cheaper so that's definitely an incentive to stay at home, but I'm not sure of the process if I wanted to match to a US residency. Would it be difficult to become a US citizen (I've lived in Canada all my life, no family in the US)? Lastly, regarding licencing exams, when/how would I take USMLE step 1/2 at a Canadian school? Would I also be required to take MCCQE?


Go to the US. Higher chances.

Unfortunately I don't have all the money in the world either so my plan is 4 year undergrad in Canada and then med school in the US followed by residency in the US.