Canadian Undergrad Student ---> USA DPT Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJTheChicken

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am a citizen of Canada, having completed my undergraduate degree (B.Sc) here. I am going to be applying for the 2018/2019 cycle and was just hoping to get some feedback/information on what my chances would be like in terms of applying to US DPT schools. I have been doing some research as to which schools do and do not accept Canadian students, but I am trying to get an idea of the overall aspect of things, as there are several factors taken into consideration when applying for DPT. I have narrowed down the major courses that most universities seem to ask for as pre-requisites (Biology I & II, Chemistry I & II (w/ Lab), Physics I & II (w/ Lab), Anatomy and Physiology (w/ Lab), Statistics, Psychology).

Based on this information, my pre-req GPA would be a 3.6/4.0. My cGPA is 3.2/4.0. I have not yet written the GRE, as I am currently preparing for this. I have approximately 115 hours total in a Physical Therapy setting (inpatient and outpatient combined).

It is hard to gauge since my GRE is still incomplete, but based on the information I did provide, would I be somewhat of a competitive student at schools within the US? If anyone has any insight or would be willing to discuss this with me, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

I am a citizen of Canada, having completed my undergraduate degree (B.Sc) here. I am going to be applying for the 2018/2019 cycle and was just hoping to get some feedback/information on what my chances would be like in terms of applying to US DPT schools. I have been doing some research as to which schools do and do not accept Canadian students, but I am trying to get an idea of the overall aspect of things, as there are several factors taken into consideration when applying for DPT. I have narrowed down the major courses that most universities seem to ask for as pre-requisites (Biology I & II, Chemistry I & II (w/ Lab), Physics I & II (w/ Lab), Anatomy and Physiology (w/ Lab), Statistics, Psychology).

Based on this information, my pre-req GPA would be a 3.6/4.0. My cGPA is 3.2/4.0. I have not yet written the GRE, as I am currently preparing for this. I have approximately 115 hours total in a Physical Therapy setting (inpatient and outpatient combined).

It is hard to gauge since my GRE is still incomplete, but based on the information I did provide, would I be somewhat of a competitive student at schools within the US? If anyone has any insight or would be willing to discuss this with me, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

I'm a Canadian Citizen who just recently got accepted into DPT school in the states. Granted I did complete my undergraduate studies in the states. Based solely on the stats provided I think you'll be a pretty strong candidate. Just make sure you have strong LORs.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a Canadian Citizen who just recently got accepted into DPT school in the states. Granted I did complete my undergraduate studies in the states. Based solely on the stats provided I think you'll be a pretty strong candidate. Just make sure you have strong LORs.

Hey thanks for the reply. If you don't mind me asking, which DPT school did you get accepted into? Also, if there are other schools you did apply to, which ones were they? I have started to put together a list of schools that seem "Canadian friendly," and I would like to continually add to it. I am also filtering schools based on my cGPA and pGPA, as the PTCAS website provides those averages for each school. How was your experience overall going through the application process, as a Canadian citizen to a US DPT school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the reply. If you don't mind me asking, which DPT school did you get accepted into? Also, if there are other schools you did apply to, which ones were they? I have started to put together a list of schools that seem "Canadian friendly," and I would like to continually add to it. I am also filtering schools based on my cGPA and pGPA, as the PTCAS website provides those averages for each school. How was your experience overall going through the application process, as a Canadian citizen to a US DPT school?

No problem! I'm going to Wayne State University. i only applied to schools that didn't require the GRE to apply (Wayne State does, but their min score is low and they don't really take the score into consideration). I applied to AIC ( Declined interview), USci Philly (decline interview), SHU ( declined seat), Nazareth College (declined seat), U of Scranton (waitlist), Thomas Jefferson (waitlist), Daemen (no response). Honestly speaking getting into Wayne State was the best case scenario, because they have a "Good Neighbour Policy" meaning that any student that is a resident of Ontario Canada is allowed to pay IN STATE tuition. Being a Canadian Citizen and applying to a US school I believe kinda set me apart from the rest of the applicants simply because I was usually the only international student at most of my interviews so it was an easy talking point.

No problem! I'm going to Wayne State University. i only applied to schools that didn't require the GRE to apply (Wayne State does, but their min score is low and they don't really take the score into consideration). I applied to AIC ( Declined interview), USci Philly (decline interview), SHU ( declined seat), Nazareth College (declined seat), U of Scranton (waitlist), Thomas Jefferson (waitlist), Daemen (no response). Honestly speaking getting into Wayne State was the best case scenario, because they have a "Good Neighbour Policy" meaning that any student that is a resident of Ontario Canada is allowed to pay IN STATE tuition. Being a Canadian Citizen and applying to a US school I believe kinda set me apart from the rest of the applicants simply because I was usually the only international student at most of my interviews so it was an easy talking point.

Congrats! If you applied to schools which do not require the GRE, are they typically a little more competitive, considering they would place more emphasis on GPA? Another question regarding that, and if you don't mind, what were your application statistics (GPA's and such)? I will definitely look into some of these schools. Unfortunately, I am not from Ontario so I guess that will not apply to me, unless they were to make a special consideration. I agree, I went to a few open houses, and I was the only Canadian at most of them, so I hope that helps out my application as they now recognize me.

AIC being American International College, and SHU being Sacred Heart Uni, I would assume?

Congrats! If you applied to schools which do not require the GRE, are they typically a little more competitive, considering they would place more emphasis on GPA? Another question regarding that, and if you don't mind, what were your application statistics (GPA's and such)? I will definitely look into some of these schools. Unfortunately, I am not from Ontario so I guess that will not apply to me, unless they were to make a special consideration. I agree, I went to a few open houses, and I was the only Canadian at most of them, so I hope that helps out my application as they now recognize me.

AIC being American International College, and SHU being Sacred Heart Uni, I would assume?

Uhh its hard to say if they're more competitive because most of the schools that don't require GRE are private schools whose tuition is pretty high, so I don't imagine a lot of people applying to those schools over the other cheaper ones.. unless you're like me & suck at standardized testing. I also got accepted to The Sage Colleges in Syracuse NY, if you wanna add that to your list.

Here are my stats:

Major:
Biology
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.3-3.4 (depending)
GRE: N/A

Extra-Curricular: 4 year member varsity mens soccer, worked as a PT tech, worked as an ophthalmic technician.
Honors:
AD Honor Roll multiple occasions

Observation: 660 hours Outpatient 2 different settings. (orthopaedic, aquatic, sports, paediatric)
Letters of Recommendation:
1 PT, 3 Professors (A&P prof, Organic Chemistry prof, African American History prof)

Uhh its hard to say if they're more competitive because most of the schools that don't require GRE are private schools whose tuition is pretty high, so I don't imagine a lot of people applying to those schools over the other cheaper ones.. unless you're like me & suck at standardized testing. I also got accepted to The Sage Colleges in Syracuse NY, if you wanna add that to your list.

Here are my stats:

Major:
Biology
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.3-3.4 (depending)
GRE: N/A

Extra-Curricular: 4 year member varsity mens soccer, worked as a PT tech, worked as an ophthalmic technician.
Honors:
AD Honor Roll multiple occasions

Observation: 660 hours Outpatient 2 different settings. (orthopaedic, aquatic, sports, paediatric)
Letters of Recommendation:
1 PT, 3 Professors (A&P prof, Organic Chemistry prof, African American History prof)

Thank you very much. This is very useful information and will definitely help me out during the application process. If you happen to remember or come across any additional tips/pointers, definitely do let me know. All the best with your studies!