Canadian undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceely

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm finishing up my undergrad degree at a Canadian university, and I'm interested in Optometry. There's only 2 universities in Canada that offer optometry, so its super competitive here (and one of them is in french, haha). So, I'm thinking about going to the States for Optometry, specifically schools in the East Coast.

How do schools view Canadian/International students? Also, my school doesn't calculate marks using the GPA system - just percentages. How do I convert to GPA?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Canadian student from the University of Toronto and I've been accepted in one school and I'm in the top 5 alternate list for another school. Schools don't look down at canadian students.

thanks so much! that's great to hear :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Hannage1, which schools did you apply to?

To the OP: I emailed a few schools awhile back, and they have no defined view of us, we're just treated the same as US applicants. I was told by NECO though that some Canadian universities are considered more competitive than others, and a lower gpa is okay if you are from a competitive university. They did not give me their opinion on which schools these were though. SUNY is the same.

If you want to calculate your gpa you'll have to look it up online or email them specifically to ask how it's done. Your school should have a conversion scale as well that converts percentages into letter grades I believe. You can also figure it out using this link: http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf

i applied to several schools... got accepted into NOVA and im on the alternate list at SCO

Hey Hannage1, which schools did you apply to?

To the OP: I emailed a few schools awhile back, and they have no defined view of us, we're just treated the same as US applicants. I was told by NECO though that some Canadian universities are considered more competitive than others, and a lower gpa is okay if you are from a competitive university. They did not give me their opinion on which schools these were though. SUNY is the same.

If you want to calculate your gpa you'll have to look it up online or email them specifically to ask how it's done. Your school should have a conversion scale as well that converts percentages into letter grades I believe. You can also figure it out using this link: http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf

Hmm...which Canadian schools do you think those are? UofT definitely, but what else?

Yes definitely U of T, especially if its St. George's campus. Well personally I think most Canadian universities are competitive... I'm not too familiar with all the universities in Canada, but within Ontario i know for sure Queens, Western, McMaster, and Waterloo... those were the ones that had high entrance averages for their undergraduate programs (from highschool). I'm sure you could give them your gpa and ask if its competitive when taking into account your undergrad institution.

i'm a U of T grad... overall GPA wasn't the greatest but there was a huge improvement over my last two years

Good for you.

Last edited:
You know what, I've actually heard that as well about Waterloo from a few people, but didn't know if it was true or not. I was accepted there for undergrad and they sent out numerous letters trying to entice you to accept their offer, ie from the "president" etc. I think more people go to that university for their engineering and actuarial science programs instead of biological science. That's just my opinion though, I've never been enrolled in the school.

Maybe you're just dumb?

gochi is a NICOMPOOP. ******ed stupid mtfcka!!!!!!!:smuggrin:

If you'll not have manners, that is how not to have manners.

To ceely: Different schools will have you calculate your GPA in different ways, so call/email the schools you are looking at.

Excusez mon français

gochi is a NICOMPOOP. ******ed stupid mtfcka!!!!!!!:smuggrin:

If you'll not have manners, that is how not to have manners.

To ceely: Different schools will have you calculate your GPA in different ways, so call/email the schools you are looking at.

Excusez mon français

go back to africa; we dont want the % of population having aids to increase.

Now mods before you review my response, lets take a look at some facts.

1) As the user name suggests, the poster is African.
2) There more than 10 million people with AIDS living in Africa. Refer to this link if you already lack gray matter: http://www.aidsandafrica.com/africa_aids_statistics1997.php
3) Since the poster is African, due to his user name, it is plausible to say that he/she is from Africa and thus might be infected with AIDS.
4) If he/she does decide to enter north america, there is a high possibility for him/her to increase the % of pop. having aids.
5) If the % of pop having aids increases, then we all die.

What I am trying to say is that, this post is not insulting or racial.

Last edited:
Why is this guy still allowed to be here?

go back to africa; we dont want the % of population having aids to increase.

Now mods before you review my response, lets take a look at some facts.

1) As the user name suggests, the poster is African.
2) There more than 10 million people with AIDS living in Africa. Refer to this link if you already lack gray matter: http://www.aidsandafrica.com/africa_aids_statistics1997.php
3) Since the poster is African, due to his user name, it is plausible to say that he/she is from Africa and thus might be infected with AIDS.
4) If he/she does decide to enter north america, there is a high possibility for him/her to increase the % of pop. having aids.
5) If the % of pop having aids increases, then we all die.

What I am trying to say is that, this post is not insulting or racial.

Fun fact:
The AIDS rate in our nation's capital is higher than in the majority of African countries.

gochi: This is not the 60's or earlier, too bad you are late. Just in case you don't know, before immigration services let me into NA (and too bad I am already in), they screened me for all the diseases you are worried sick, that you will die from. So take a chill pill. Let it run through till your nerve endings, k. I will also tell you that when you say "go back to Africa", it an insult, it is possibly racial. Everyone sees this, so I wonder why you say it is not just after few sentences. It is now very open for everyone to judge your thought process. I will leave others to make those judgements. I can only guess that what makes you think like this is the same reason behind all of your unfortunate comments and post throughout this forum. I will also tell you this, and you should probably learn this from today. When you say "go back to africa", you sound bitter and a probably bitter. Sorry if you are.

I insulted you as a person(which I have been warned for), but you replied attacking africa. So man up, don't be taking cheap shots!

gochi: This is not the 60's or earlier, too bad you are late. Just in case you don't know, before immigration services let me into NA (and too bad I am already in), they screened me for all the diseases you are worried sick, that you will die from. So take a chill pill. Let it run through till your nerve endings, k. I will also tell you that when you say "go back to Africa", it an insult, it is possibly racial. Everyone sees this, so I wonder why you say it is not just after few sentences. It is now very open for everyone to judge your thought process. I will leave others to make those judgements. I can only guess that what makes you think like this is the same reason behind all of your unfortunate comments and post throughout this forum. I will also tell you this, and you should probably learn this from today. When you say "go back to africa", you sound bitter and a probably bitter. Sorry if you are.

I insulted you as a person(which I have been warned for), but you replied attacking africa. So man up, don't be taking cheap shots!

I wouldn't worry about gochi, he is a small little man with a small little mind. He wants attention and nothing more.