Canadian vs. US MHA/MPH programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadeInChinaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian student interested in healthcare administration, policy, and management. I have applied to the following American programs because they have a great reputation and accreditation:
- Cornell MHA program (admitted as of today!)
- Boston MPH - in health policy and management (admitted)
- U of Minnesota MPH - in health policy and management (admitted)
- U of Minnesota MHA - interview scheduled

and the following Canadian programs:
- UBC MHA - applied
- Dalhousie MHA - applied
- U of Alberta MPH - in health policy and management (applied)
- U of Toronto MPH - in health promotion (applied)

In the future, I eventually want to become a CEO of a hospital or work for the government in implementing health policies/legislation. I'm now facing 2 dilemmas:

1) where should I pursue my degree? Canada or in US?
I feel like there are more opportunities in healthcare in US but at the same time if I were to to to the States for my MHA degree and stay in there to work then my opportunities may be more limited because I'm not a US citizen.

2) Which degree - MHA or MPH - would give me more options and flexibility in my future career choices?
I feel like if I pursue MHA then I will be stuck with the private sector and it will be hard for me to transfer to working in the government. But, even if I do a MPH in the States, I probably won't be able to work in the government due to the citizenship restrictions.

I know this is a long post but thanks for reading! This is my first time posting on the forums and any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi.
Its good to see that you got admits from Cornell,BU and Minnesota.I don't claim to have super knowledge about things you asked but i will try my best to answer.In Canada,there are few accredited programs of MHA as compared to USA,plus you already have admission offers from good universities of states with reputation all over world.I guess US is better place for education because you can use that for job in Canada too,if u don't get that in US. Primary employer is private sector because it offers more job chances,growth and salary. US healthcare is different from Canadian one in many terms,so studying it gives you wider perspective and chance to work in US for future.Choosing between MHA/MPH depends on you,your career goals.As you wrote about CEO thing,MHA would be appropriate,i think. I have no idea of job scope and salary of MPH but if i were you,i would go to US for MHA,maybe in Cornell...So, good luck for your future

Hi Ryan,
Thanks for the advice! I'm super excited about the Cornell MHA program and I really don't want to give up that offer. My concern is that because the US and Canadian healthcare systems are so different, it may be difficult to find a job in Canada later if I were to go to the states for my degree. I want to keep my options open and eventually I may want to come back to Canada and work.
Well i'll sleep on these choices - still waiting for my official letters of admission

Members don't see this ad :)
MadeInChinaa,

I have been looking at some of your posts, and I must say, I was somewhat relieved to see that I am not the only one out there going through the 'MHA in Canada vs. USA' battle.

I am also a Canadian looking to pursue my MHA. I have only started the process (i.e. have been researching programs in both Canada and USA) and have not applied to anything yet.

I was wondering if you made your decision between Cornell and Dalhousie. If yes, what did you decide upon? What was it that convinced you to go with your decision?

Also, did you ever consider the Master in Health Science in Health Administration program at University of Toronto? Why or why not?

Sorry to bombard you with questions - I just would find your feedback extremely helpful as I am processing some similar decisions at the moment.

Thank you, and hope to hear from you soon!

heyy
i m too thinking of doing MPH/MHA from canada .. bt i really dont understand which from these 2 shud i go for .. can plz anyone tell me about the jobs we can get after both these degrees .. m just afraid as MPH might not be some social service kind of work .. i want some research job or office jobs ... !! n from the name MPH it seems like a field job ... m i right ??

heyy
i m too thinking of doing MPH/MHA from canada .. bt i really dont understand which from these 2 shud i go for .. can plz anyone tell me about the jobs we can get after both these degrees .. m just afraid as MPH might not be some social service kind of work .. i want some research job or office jobs ... !! n from the name MPH it seems like a field job ... m i right ??

Member 499333
i have the same question to ask... if atall u hav got your answers please shar it with me!

To All:

This is an interesting question but you really have two issues you are dealing with. First, should you pursue the MHA or the MPH. This is a much bigger question and actually has created quite a debate on this forum. Nevertheless, it is something you need to figure out. In my opinion, the MHA has a much more narrow focus on hospital administration. These programs are completely geared towards people managing healthcare organizations. This is not to say you cannot work in other environments, but view it more of an MBA of healthcare. For the most part, 90% of students I have dealt with end up working in a consulting/management role in a healthcare organization.

The MPH on the other hand can be much more diverse. Some students are scientists, while others are working in policy positions. The key here is that some programs do offer a very focused program on healthcare management but this is more of an exception. In the US, the MHA is considered more focused unless you are in a very reputable MPH program with a focus on healthcare management. The MPH may offer more latitude, but it really depends on how defined your career goals are.

As for the US or Canada, the answer may be as simple as go where you want to be. If you want to be in Canada then go to school there. Now, since the systems are so different, it may be tough to go back and forth. Nevertheless, I would suggest you attend a US school and attempt to transition later. It cannot hurt. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

To All:

This is an interesting question but you really have two issues you are dealing with. First, should you pursue the MHA or the MPH. This is a much bigger question and actually has created quite a debate on this forum. Nevertheless, it is something you need to figure out. In my opinion, the MHA has a much more narrow focus on hospital administration. These programs are completely geared towards people managing healthcare organizations. This is not to say you cannot work in other environments, but view it more of an MBA of healthcare. For the most part, 90% of students I have dealt with end up working in a consulting/management role in a healthcare organization.

The MPH on the other hand can be much more diverse. Some students are scientists, while others are working in policy positions. The key here is that some programs do offer a very focused program on healthcare management but this is more of an exception. In the US, the MHA is considered more focused unless you are in a very reputable MPH program with a focus on healthcare management. The MPH may offer more latitude, but it really depends on how defined your career goals are.

As for the US or Canada, the answer may be as simple as go where you want to be. If you want to be in Canada then go to school there. Now, since the systems are so different, it may be tough to go back and forth. Nevertheless, I would suggest you attend a US school and attempt to transition later. It cannot hurt. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Hey studenhealth12,
I am an Indian dental student confused about about going for MHA or MPH from USA or Canada.. I am looking in for settlement and a good job
Can you suggest me some thing

Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian student interested in healthcare administration, policy, and management. I have applied to the following American programs because they have a great reputation and accreditation:
- Cornell MHA program (admitted as of today!)
- Boston MPH - in health policy and management (admitted)
- U of Minnesota MPH - in health policy and management (admitted)
- U of Minnesota MHA - interview scheduled

and the following Canadian programs:
- UBC MHA - applied
- Dalhousie MHA - applied
- U of Alberta MPH - in health policy and management (applied)
- U of Toronto MPH - in health promotion (applied)

In the future, I eventually want to become a CEO of a hospital or work for the government in implementing health policies/legislation. I'm now facing 2 dilemmas:

1) where should I pursue my degree? Canada or in US?
I feel like there are more opportunities in healthcare in US but at the same time if I were to to to the States for my MHA degree and stay in there to work then my opportunities may be more limited because I'm not a US citizen.

2) Which degree - MHA or MPH - would give me more options and flexibility in my future career choices?
I feel like if I pursue MHA then I will be stuck with the private sector and it will be hard for me to transfer to working in the government. But, even if I do a MPH in the States, I probably won't be able to work in the government due to the citizenship restrictions.

I know this is a long post but thanks for reading! This is my first time posting on the forums and any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
:)

is it tough to get admitted in ubc canada?

i want to apply for mha.pls guide me.

long story short get the degree in the country that you want to work in. as simple as that.

Hi everyone,

I m planning to apply for an MHA program in Canada. Could anyone please provide some info regarding MHA program in Dalhousie University?Is anyone here who has completed the program from Dalhousie?

What are the job prospects after completing an MHA from Dalhousie University?
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Ravi