gemshell

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Hi, I'm from Toronto, a soon-to-be graduate of Kinesiology, and I'm wondering if anyone knows the chances of getting into COM schools without being a US citizen or resident. I already emailed NSUCOM, and they said they accept "international" students. I do have a competitive GPA and MCAT scores, but does anyone know how competitive I would have to be in order to be considered? Are there any COM schools that accept a lot of international applicants? Any help and guidance will greatly be appreciated! :)

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
gemshell said:
Hi, I'm from Toronto, a soon-to-be graduate of Kinesiology, and I'm wondering if anyone knows the chances of getting into COM schools without being a US citizen or resident. I already emailed NSUCOM, and they said they accept "international" students. I do have a competitive GPA and MCAT scores, but does anyone know how competitive I would have to be in order to be considered? Are there any COM schools that accept a lot of international applicants? Any help and guidance will greatly be appreciated! :)
Welll.... they do accept those Candians. eh. Send me a Private message with your questions and I will give you all the info you want.

(private messages is an option at the top right side of this page, click on Private Messages and follow instructions.

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I know that Touro and UMDNJ do not accept foreign students. I called them for this application cycle (I am foreign myself). I think overall, DO schools are very welcoming to international students.

cutaway

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
San Francisco, soon to Texas
Status
dr.z said:
I know that Touro and UMDNJ do not accept foreign students. I called them for this application cycle (I am foreign myself). I think overall, DO schools are very welcoming to international students.
If TUCOM doesn't accept foreign students, that's a new development. I'm TUCOM-CA Class of 2005 and I know for sure of 2 Canadian nationals in my class alone, along with a South African a couple years ahead and a New Zealander a year behind. There are probably others... Given Touro's international connections/campuses in Israel and Russia, I'd expect them to consider students from those nations as well.

Gemshell, best to call or hit the web site and clarify. I think most DO schools are receptive to qualified candidates who can speak English and pay tuition, period. They just don't get that many apps, probably because the DO degree is relatively unknown internationally.

-C

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
cutaway said:
If TUCOM doesn't accept foreign students, that's a new development. I'm TUCOM-CA Class of 2005 and I know for sure of 2 Canadian nationals in my class alone, along with a South African a couple years ahead and a New Zealander a year behind. There are probably others... Given Touro's international connections/campuses in Israel and Russia, I'd expect them to consider students from those nations as well.

Gemshell, best to call or hit the web site and clarify. I think most DO schools are receptive to qualified candidates who can speak English and pay tuition, period. They just don't get that many apps, probably because the DO degree is relatively unknown internationally.

-C
I did call them in the summer.. and they said NOOOOOOOO they changed their regulations. Maybe they will change it again.

NYCOM also changed it regulation and no longer accept Canadian applicants.

Basicly Canadians are limited to/best chance of being accepted at:

UNECOM,
PCOM
AZCOM
CCOM
NSUCOM
KCOM
Kans
VCOM
LECOM
COMP
maybe one or two missing

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
docbill said:
I did call them in the summer.. and they said NOOOOOOOO they changed their regulations. Maybe they will change it again.

NYCOM also changed it regulation and no longer accept Canadian applicants.

I called them this summer too before sending out the primary app to make sure I wouldn't waste money. I should have called NYCOM. Maybe that's why I haven't heard anything from them.

OP
gemshell

gemshell

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
thanks everyone for your help. i guess the general consensus is to call/email the schools i'm interested in. also, i guess it would be an advantage to get the apps in early. what's the earliest date to send the apps in - june? would sending in an application by mid-july be considered "early"? this would give me a little more time to find and shadow a DO physician, as well as add some more things to my resume!

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
gemshell said:
thanks everyone for your help. i guess the general consensus is to call/email the schools i'm interested in. also, i guess it would be an advantage to get the apps in early. what's the earliest date to send the apps in - june? would sending in an application by mid-july be considered "early"? this would give me a little more time to find and shadow a DO physician, as well as add some more things to my resume!
Yes. call. But the list I gave you is good. NSUCOM is not a porblem.

Acomas sais there application will be available in early May. I would say Apply the first day you can. Order Transcripts from YU etc.. June1st or May.20th.

The secondary application will be sent out in June or July. That is when the reference letters are needed.

DRealDrZ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
I am from the school in Kansas City...two of our classmates are from Canada.

DrFeelgoodDO

PV,PO,PR - in that order
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oklahoma
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
dr.z said:
Must be new at UMDNJ cuz when I was on the ad comm last year, we accepted a girl from Germany....

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
DrFeelgoodDO said:
Must be new at UMDNJ cuz when I was on the ad comm last year, we accepted a girl from Germany....
Do you know if she had a green card? I think they say they don't accept foreign students on their web site as well. In fact even the other UMDNJ schools make it clear that they don't accept foreign students.

Raggaman

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
dr.z said:
Do you know if she had a green card? I think they say they don't accept foreign students on their web site as well. In fact even the other UMDNJ schools make it clear that they don't accept foreign students.
As far as I know, UMDNJ does not accept foreign students. The list Dr Z has mentioned previously, is good. I am a foreign student myself and got accepted to KCOM and NSUCOM. I also managed to get several other interviews that I had to cancel as I had already recieved acceptance. Good luck

OP
gemshell

gemshell

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
i have a couple other questions:
1. some DO schools specify that they want LOR's from science professors. would a professor/doctor that i did research with but who did not teach me be ok, or does it really have to be a professor who taught me. i would also have 2 additional LOR's from science and arts professors who taught me in undergrad (so a total of 3 LOR's)

2. for any Canadian students applying/accepted to US professional schools who went to high school in Ontario and did OAC's - do you know if OAC credits are considered college-equivalents?

thanks again!!!

thatuvicguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Canada
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Hey there,

Dobill's list is missing DMUCOM - they definitely accept Canadians. I met one there during my interview and have an acceptance myself.

Cheers,
thatuvicguy

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
thatuvicguy said:
Hey there,

Dobill's list is missing DMUCOM - they definitely accept Canadians. I met one there during my interview and have an acceptance myself.

Cheers,
thatuvicguy
I said "maybe one or two missing" DMU fits under there.

You don't count.. hehehe

BTW.. DMU has washington rotation sites. So you can get back to West coast. NOt bad hey. BTW.. UVicguy, remember the thing I told you about.. yeah that thing. I got a reply today and I got :thumbup: s up