Canadians going to school in the States

Started by jb4teen
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jb4teen

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am just curious of how Canadians that go to school in the US manage to pay for tuition etc. I really want to go to the states for optometry school, but if I get accepted to UW, it doesn’t seem rational to pursue school in the states unless you have mega money. My decision is going to come down to staying in Canada because of money or go to a US school where I’d rather be. Any scholarships etc. for that Canadians may apply for? Do most Canadians just get loans for the entire degree from their banks in Canada? So I am just wondering if anyone has advice for me. Anything will help. Thanx.
 
jb4teen said:
Hi, I am just curious of how Canadians that go to school in the US manage to pay for tuition etc. I really want to go to the states for optometry school, but if I get accepted to UW, it doesn’t seem rational to pursue school in the states unless you have mega money. My decision is going to come down to staying in Canada because of money or go to a US school where I’d rather be. Any scholarships etc. for that Canadians may apply for? Do most Canadians just get loans for the entire degree from their banks in Canada? So I am just wondering if anyone has advice for me. Anything will help. Thanx.

from talking to my canadian friends, non of them are eligible for financial assitance in the states because it's simply not allowed. in addition, you will not be eligibile for grants/loans. their parents all make well over 200,000 a year (combined), and those that are poor, end up putting their house on the line. i guess, it's a good use of money in the long run, but i'd never pay that much!
 
jb4teen said:
Hi, I am just curious of how Canadians that go to school in the US manage to pay for tuition etc. I really want to go to the states for optometry school, but if I get accepted to UW, it doesn’t seem rational to pursue school in the states unless you have mega money. My decision is going to come down to staying in Canada because of money or go to a US school where I’d rather be. Any scholarships etc. for that Canadians may apply for? Do most Canadians just get loans for the entire degree from their banks in Canada? So I am just wondering if anyone has advice for me. Anything will help. Thanx.

CDN's don't get US loans. They are eligible for scholarship, but this is often a small amount. If you incur US debt, you will want to consider, making US dollars, or have a good paying job in Canada.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Curiousity on my part -- Why the US over Waterloo? I know some people have decided to do it for various reason (some for grades, some have family down there, some just don't like Waterloo). If it's the practice in the US, are you able to write your American boards at the same time as your Canadian ones (I was led to believe you are, but I could very well be incorrect).

Just me being curious 🙂

CH
 
cdh86 said:
Curiousity on my part -- Why the US over Waterloo? I know some people have decided to do it for various reason (some for grades, some have family down there, some just don't like Waterloo). If it's the practice in the US, are you able to write your American boards at the same time as your Canadian ones (I was led to believe you are, but I could very well be incorrect).

Just me being curious 🙂

CH

Well first of all. I have been accepted into NOVA in florida. But I just applied to waterloo. So I may not even get accepted to UW. I am in my 3rd year of undergrad, so if I end up not getting into Waterloo, I will have to decide either to do another year undergad and try again or go to NOVA. But even if I get accepted to waterloo, it would be fun going to school in the US, especially Florida. Just to see new places, different experiences, meet new people etc. I visited NOVA and its very nice. I liked what I saw. It would be hard not to choose it. So yeah I am just trying to get as much info as I can, so when it comes time to make a decision I will know a little more. Right now everythings up in the air and I am just waiting to see how everything unfolds.
 
jb4teen said:
Well first of all. I have been accepted into NOVA in florida. But I just applied to waterloo. So I may not even get accepted to UW. I am in my 3rd year of undergrad, so if I end up not getting into Waterloo, I will have to decide either to do another year undergad and try again or go to NOVA. But even if I get accepted to waterloo, it would be fun going to school in the US, especially Florida. Just to see new places, different experiences, meet new people etc. I visited NOVA and its very nice. I liked what I saw. It would be hard not to choose it. So yeah I am just trying to get as much info as I can, so when it comes time to make a decision I will know a little more. Right now everythings up in the air and I am just waiting to see how everything unfolds.

The financial difference in annual tuition is considerable (~$9,000 CAD vs. ~$24,000 CAD), so it may be wise to wait the extra year if you felt you had a strong chance of getting into UWaterloo. Over four years the differential could be well over $60,000 CAD; in addition to the lost oppourtunity for bursaries, 0% interest student loans etc. You can always get your OD in Canada and practice in the US (after passing American boards) and can do an externship in the US (three months?) in your fourth year of the program at Waterloo. If, however money is no object and you wanted to get started right away, there are worse places to go to school than Ft. Lauderdale.
 
I think Dr. Cooper handles the externships for UW Optometry. Pretty sure she has some students in the states as well 🙂 Maybe drop by and talk to her (if you're around Waterloo)?

CH
 
cdh86 said:
I think Dr. Cooper handles the externships for UW Optometry. Pretty sure she has some students in the states as well 🙂 Maybe drop by and talk to her (if you're around Waterloo)?

CH

i thought there was a lady by the name of AMODEO who was in charge of everyone's life there :laugh:
 
jb4teen said:
Hi, I am just curious of how Canadians that go to school in the US manage to pay for tuition etc. I really want to go to the states for optometry school, but if I get accepted to UW, it doesn’t seem rational to pursue school in the states unless you have mega money. My decision is going to come down to staying in Canada because of money or go to a US school where I’d rather be. Any scholarships etc. for that Canadians may apply for? Do most Canadians just get loans for the entire degree from their banks in Canada? So I am just wondering if anyone has advice for me. Anything will help. Thanx.

Hey jb4teen,

I'm also a Canadian (living in Victoria, BC) applying to optometry school in the states. I applied to Nova in the US, and Waterloo in Canada, but I don't know what my chances are for Waterloo. I'm going to an interview at Nova on April 7th and I'm really excited! I think I would love Nova's new facilities, beautiful campus and great location, but the money situation is scary. If you don't mind me asking, how are you funding your studies? Are you going through Canhelp? Or Royal Bank?

Sara
🙂
 
I think I"ll be going through CanHelp.. maybe perhaps borrowing it from the bank? My friend told me that RBC gave her 150k CDN but the conditions for that I"m not too sure.
 
Katalio said:
I think I"ll be going through CanHelp.. maybe perhaps borrowing it from the bank? My friend told me that RBC gave her 150k CDN but the conditions for that I"m not too sure.

Yeah I am pretty sure I'm going to Nova. I think I will go through the Royal Bank. So far they seem to offer a pretty good deal. Also I was looking at Educaid. They gave me a brochure on it when I went to my interviews at PCO and Nova. I havn't decided anything for sure yet. I'll figure it out this summer after I am done my finals this semester.
 
Does anyone know if CanHelp of a student line of credit from one of the banks qualifies as a loan made under Canada Student Loans Act, the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act, or similiar provincial laws for post-sec. education?

If they do then the interest on the loans is deductable from your Canadian income tax... might help just a little bit.

I'm also wondering what kind of a difference carrying forward tutition deductions would have on future income and tax. Anyone have any idea?
 
I talked to a representative from Royal Bank today. She told me that for the optometry students, we can only borrow 55K (cdn$) max. Is it also what you find out as well?
 
Are there any 0% loans out there? (I know I know, it's crazy, but there's no harm in asking, is there?)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sure are! just ask mommy and daddy! Those are few and far between however.

But Med students can get loans at the prime rate...
 
When it comes to the professional student lines of credit, EVERYTHING is negotiable.
 
from talking to 3 current OD Canadian students at Pacific, NECO and SCCO, they have told me to approach banks for loans before going through CANHELP or other such programs. The main advantage is that the banks will charge interest on only WHAT YOU HAVE USED, while CANHELP will charge you interest on the whole amount upfront.

BMO seems to have the best loan program for OD from my research up to this date. Also, look into grants for your specific province as many health-care programs are funded for grants in BC for e.g. It may not me much but can help when you're in debt for ~US160,000 even a 1k helps.

as usual, OD gets the raw deal as med and dent students can get up to $150,000 in loans per bank while we get around $50,000- $80,000 per bank.


- IU School of Opt. Class of '09
 
kaostonite said:
from talking to 3 current OD Canadian students at Pacific, NECO and SCCO, they have told me to approach banks for loans before going through CANHELP or other such programs. The main advantage is that the banks will charge interest on only WHAT YOU HAVE USED, while CANHELP will charge you interest on the whole amount upfront.

BMO seems to have the best loan program for OD from my research up to this date. Also, look into grants for your specific province as many health-care programs are funded for grants in BC for e.g. It may not me much but can help when you're in debt for ~US160,000 even a 1k helps.

as usual, OD gets the raw deal as med and dent students can get up to $150,000 in loans per bank while we get around $50,000- $80,000 per bank.


- IU School of Opt. Class of '09

Hi,
I'm with CIBC (professional edge line of credit), and they give upto CDN$25,000 a year to CDN$ 100,000. Plus they will authorize ANOTHER CDN$ 25,000 after graduation (for car purchase etc.).
 
Loncifer said:
Hi,
I'm with CIBC (professional edge line of credit), and they give upto CDN$25,000 a year to CDN$ 100,000. Plus they will authorize ANOTHER CDN$ 25,000 after graduation (for car purchase etc.).

Good to know... but what are the interest rates?
 
Really good information here and its nice to hear from other Canadian students who are in the same position. Just curious..what does everyone do for the remaining balance (mom/dad?)..i mean $80 K doesnt cover all 4 years at optometry school.
 
Loncifer said:
Hi,
I'm with CIBC (professional edge line of credit), and they give upto CDN$25,000 a year to CDN$ 100,000. Plus they will authorize ANOTHER CDN$ 25,000 after graduation (for car purchase etc.).

Is this for school in the US? Because I have now had two appointments with two different personal bankers at CIBC who have told me that US schools are not eligible for the professional student line of credit...

😕
 
Fedz said:
Really good information here and its nice to hear from other Canadian students who are in the same position. Just curious..what does everyone do for the remaining balance (mom/dad?)..i mean $80 K doesnt cover all 4 years at optometry school.

Very curious to know as well! I mean, you can't start a program not knowing how you're going to finish paying for it!
 
SuperSara said:
Is this for school in the US? Because I have now had two appointments with two different personal bankers at CIBC who have told me that US schools are not eligible for the professional student line of credit...

😕

Hi Sara,
This is for Waterloo. I'm sorry to hear they don't cover US schools.
 
Yeah, I fear CDn couldn't really get mucch for OD school! Interest rates seem pretty high too..
 
Well, first off the pay off of becoming an optometrist and the $$$ you are going to make will pay off those loans in no time, so don't worry about that. Don't take out an American loan, take out your loans in Canada. That's what my husband and I are doing and honestly you need to just know that it seems like a lot of $ at first, but you'll get used to the idea.
 
For those of you that are planning on financing your optometry education with CanHelp, have you already applied??? I haven't decided if I'm going to go to states this fall (i've been accepted). do you think july would be too late to apply for CanHelp? Thanks!
 
Hi AmberT,

What are your reasons for borrowing in Canada vs. USA? Did u have any trouble finding lenders that would lend to you for a US School?

Also, how long do you think is no time to repay your debt?
 
Hi Jefguth,
Well if you can borrow from the Canadin government for some of your loans, the interest rates are resonably lower, which is obviously a mojor bonus. If you are planning on borrowing through a bank, trying to do any banking in the States is such a hassel if you are a Canadian citizen, (because we don't have Social Security #'s), and I doubt they would give you a loan anyways, however "Can Help" is a good instutution to check out. Check their current interest rates and compare them with that of the Canadian banks. They are usually faily close in value, but sometimes one is a little higher than the other.

How long you take to repay your debt is really up to you. You could put all your money into repaying your debts right away and continue to "live like a student", or you could start living like the rest of the world, (house, nice car etc.), and let it take a little longer. It really depends on how much you want to pay off each year. But when you are making $100,000 a year, your $250,000 debt wont be such a big deal anymore. First off you should know that the Canadian government often "forgives" some of your loans once you finish school, so try to borrow from them as much as possible. Also some of the money you borrow from the gov. should be tax deductable, therefore you'll really want to pay off all other debts before repaying your government student loans.

I hope this helps.

Amber
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you in Ontario, do you know if OSAP is availible if you're going to school in a different country?
 
It must be scary..

I used CanHELP and I am happy with it. UW is excellent but I chose American school because I didn't want to be a Canadian refractionist 🙂 That is basically what canadian optometrist do (at least in Ontario)

In US, we are somewhat of primary eye care (entrance point) for all eyecare. Sorry for the generalization but at least my experiences hold this to be true.

Now, money wise... I am sure canadian optometrist can live a comfortable life (up and down) but I decided to stay here in US (live and work) I was pleasantly surprised when I received my first paycheck (July of 2003) Whoooping $3900 in 1 week There are good weeks and bad weeks but avg was around $12000 /month. Some make more and some make less, I guess I lucked out.

I don't know any of my canadian optometrist who started to take home that much pay right out of school. I just coudn't justify going back to Canada and get paid half of that and pay another half in taxes.

In Conclusion, CanHELP was worth it. I should be paying it off completely very soon.. 🙂

I hope this helps.
 
Wow! What type of practice setting are you in Tasteestuff? And where in the US do you practice?
 
Tasteestuff said:
It must be scary..

I used CanHELP and I am happy with it. UW is excellent but I chose American school because I didn't want to be a Canadian refractionist 🙂 That is basically what canadian optometrist do (at least in Ontario)

In US, we are somewhat of primary eye care (entrance point) for all eyecare. Sorry for the generalization but at least my experiences hold this to be true.

Now, money wise... I am sure canadian optometrist can live a comfortable life (up and down) but I decided to stay here in US (live and work) I was pleasantly surprised when I received my first paycheck (July of 2003) Whoooping $3900 in 1 week There are good weeks and bad weeks but avg was around $12000 /month. Some make more and some make less, I guess I lucked out.

I don't know any of my canadian optometrist who started to take home that much pay right out of school. I just coudn't justify going back to Canada and get paid half of that and pay another half in taxes.

In Conclusion, CanHELP was worth it. I should be paying it off completely very soon.. 🙂

I hope this helps.

OD students, future OD students read the above with a grain of salt. This is not average! If one averages $12000 a month thats obviously $144,000 a year. I don't see anyone earning this as a primary care optometrist. Perhaps in a very, very busy commercial practice, which would require being very busy and basically performing refractions only. (30-40 patients per day).

I would be very interested in hearing where (state and type of practice) this person practices.

On the west coast (WA and OR) average salary for an employed OD or an independent contractor is probably around 200 - 300 per day. This is $52,000 - 78,000 per year. Half of what was quoted above.

I have CANhelp, CDN gov't loans, and the CIBC Professional Student Line of Credit. I could not see paying this back while working in Canada, although the average salary in Alberta for a new OD is more than the average salary in WA, OR. (but in Canadian funds.) If I had no loans I would make more in Canada than the US (pre-tax), but you get what you pay for in taxes in Canada. I was without health insurance for two and a half years down here.
 
Tasteestuff said:
It must be scary..

I used CanHELP and I am happy with it. UW is excellent but I chose American school because I didn't want to be a Canadian refractionist 🙂 That is basically what canadian optometrist do (at least in Ontario)

In US, we are somewhat of primary eye care (entrance point) for all eyecare. Sorry for the generalization but at least my experiences hold this to be true.

Now, money wise... I am sure canadian optometrist can live a comfortable life (up and down) but I decided to stay here in US (live and work) I was pleasantly surprised when I received my first paycheck (July of 2003) Whoooping $3900 in 1 week There are good weeks and bad weeks but avg was around $12000 /month. Some make more and some make less, I guess I lucked out.

I don't know any of my canadian optometrist who started to take home that much pay right out of school. I just coudn't justify going back to Canada and get paid half of that and pay another half in taxes.
QUOTE]

I'm wondering why not go to Waterloo, write American boards and practice in the US? I believe there are a number of UW grads doing just that. I realize most US optometrists believe there is already an oversupply, but I get the impression small markets are open and lucrative. Just curious.
 
🙂
xmattODx said:
OD students, future OD students read the above with a grain of salt. This is not average! If one averages $12000 a month thats obviously $144,000 a year. I don't see anyone earning this as a primary care optometrist. Perhaps in a very, very busy commercial practice, which would require being very busy and basically performing refractions only. (30-40 patients per day).

I would be very interested in hearing where (state and type of practice) this person practices.

On the west coast (WA and OR) average salary for an employed OD or an independent contractor is probably around 200 - 300 per day. This is $52,000 - 78,000 per year. Half of what was quoted above.

I have CANhelp, CDN gov't loans, and the CIBC Professional Student Line of Credit. I could not see paying this back while working in Canada, although the average salary in Alberta for a new OD is more than the average salary in WA, OR. (but in Canadian funds.) If I had no loans I would make more in Canada than the US (pre-tax), but you get what you pay for in taxes in Canada. I was without health insurance for two and a half years down here.

Hey Matt,
Do you know if CanHelp will give you as much as you ask for? Do they determine your financial need or can you request what you would like (within reason i.e. $200,000)? Also, are they easy to get approval from?
And about the CIBC Professional Student Line of Credit, I have spoken to two bankers at CIBC and both have told me that Canadian students attending US schools are not eligible for this type of loan. How long ago did you get yours? Maybe the rules have changed...
I have talked to an OD practicing in AB who also attended Pacific and used the CIBC Professional Student Line of Credit, and I even said this to the bankers but they didn't seem phased.
Thanks for shedding some light on this...
Your fellow Canadian,
Sara
 
I think what everyone said is correct. I am currently practicing as a clinical director for a high volume Lasik Group. I get paid p/ patient for their pre and post-op care. Since this oph. practice is extremely busy and high netting that my share has been incredibly generous.

However on a side note, most of my colleagues tend to be scared to go into a more demanding practice stating that they need few more years to develop professionally. I disagree with that and perhaps that is why I ended up working with this particular group.

Overall, I think the salary ranges... Many of them are happy earning 75000 at a private practice, in a more relaxed/comfortable--> somewhat similar to their primary care setting in their college but I was not. I needed to be somewhere more challenging and demanding.
Again, I will state that the earning level varies.. Ex. one fellow from my graduating class started a private practice cold with bank loan (on top of his educ. loan--> crazy dude) in San Antonio, TX and in 2 years, he is doing extremely well, better than I. (I think he told me that his practice netted around 400000 with good 40% net profit. Wow 😀

Finally, one of our Ocular disease professor who is fairly young ~40s who is famous for having a successful multi-location practice was giving us a lecture and said...
"We need to change how we think and practice... My practice (overall) used to gross $1.2 million 2 years ago but now we have introduced a surgical center in my office and we are doing the same amount in 3 months... 😀" All I could say was WOW.... Holy Sh$$t
His formula?? He works very closely with Oph. group and he has an ophthalmologist coming into his office 2x/month to perform various surgeries and he receives surgical center fees from insurance companies.

You may be wondering "this must be some serious rural area" Actually, no.. This is in Memphis, TN and since there is a school here 'SCO', the city is saturated with ODs.

I think we all need to open our eyes and realize that although we come into this profession to provide eye care, we also would like to have a fantastic living doing what we love to do... We just need to be smart about it and consider different options and markets.
We have to stop thinking like the typical office setting (small dispensary, 1 lab, 1 or 2 exam lanes ==> 1500sq/feet) Yes, you will be earning $100000 for the rest of your life (Not to say that is a bad thing, I just would not be satisfied with it)

I am sorry for taking over this thread.. I just wanted to share that I believe there are more exciting opportunities here in US (although some claim oversaturation of ODs) and if you ever decide to take a chance with an american school paying higher fees, at least you will have a higher chance that you will make that up quickly compared to a canadian optometrist. IMHO 😍
 
SuperSara said:
🙂

Hey Matt,
Do you know if CanHelp will give you as much as you ask for? Do they determine your financial need or can you request what you would like (within reason i.e. $200,000)? Also, are they easy to get approval from?
And about the CIBC Professional Student Line of Credit, I have spoken to two bankers at CIBC and both have told me that Canadian students attending US schools are not eligible for this type of loan. How long ago did you get yours? Maybe the rules have changed...
I have talked to an OD practicing in AB who also attended Pacific and used the CIBC Professional Student Line of Credit, and I even said this to the bankers but they didn't seem phased.
Thanks for shedding some light on this...
Your fellow Canadian,
Sara

Sara,
I graduated from PUCO in 2002. My first year with CIBC was my second year of school. (1999-2000) I recieved money from them for three years and never heard that there was a problem for CDN studying in the US. If fact, my banker (in Edmonton near the U of A) went on and on about how many students studying in the US were using the program. Perhaps there has been a change. If so, I'm sorry. I wouldn't have been able to make it through without them. No other CDN bank would even look at me without a major cosigner. My parents did not qualify nor would I want to put their home on the line.

CANhelp was a last resort for me but I used them a lot! (Three years with an extra emergency loan in my third year) Easy application, everyone is approved. You could get $15,000/year without a cosigner while I was in school. With a cosigner the sky was the limit. They act in a similar fashion to American government student loans in that the money is funnelled through the school. That is it goes to tuition and then anything left over is given to you. CANhelp does have a lot of charges and fees that end up being rolled into your loan so its expensive but if I don't think about how much I owe I tend to be able to sleep at night. Some nights are toss and turn nights, however.

Sorry for the length. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
xmattODx
 
Tasteestuff said:
I think what everyone said is correct. I am currently practicing as a clinical director for a high volume Lasik Group. I get paid p/ patient for their pre and post-op care. Since this oph. practice is extremely busy and high netting that my share has been incredibly generous.

However on a side note, most of my colleagues tend to be scared to go into a more demanding practice stating that they need few more years to develop professionally. I disagree with that and perhaps that is why I ended up working with this particular group.

Overall, I think the salary ranges... Many of them are happy earning 75000 at a private practice, in a more relaxed/comfortable--> somewhat similar to their primary care setting in their college but I was not. I needed to be somewhere more challenging and demanding.
Again, I will state that the earning level varies.. Ex. one fellow from my graduating class started a private practice cold with bank loan (on top of his educ. loan--> crazy dude) in San Antonio, TX and in 2 years, he is doing extremely well, better than I. (I think he told me that his practice netted around 400000 with good 40% net profit. Wow 😀

Finally, one of our Ocular disease professor who is fairly young ~40s who is famous for having a successful multi-location practice was giving us a lecture and said...
"We need to change how we think and practice... My practice (overall) used to gross $1.2 million 2 years ago but now we have introduced a surgical center in my office and we are doing the same amount in 3 months... 😀" All I could say was WOW.... Holy Sh$$t
His formula?? He works very closely with Oph. group and he has an ophthalmologist coming into his office 2x/month to perform various surgeries and he receives surgical center fees from insurance companies.

You may be wondering "this must be some serious rural area" Actually, no.. This is in Memphis, TN and since there is a school here 'SCO', the city is saturated with ODs.

I think we all need to open our eyes and realize that although we come into this profession to provide eye care, we also would like to have a fantastic living doing what we love to do... We just need to be smart about it and consider different options and markets.
We have to stop thinking like the typical office setting (small dispensary, 1 lab, 1 or 2 exam lanes ==> 1500sq/feet) Yes, you will be earning $100000 for the rest of your life (Not to say that is a bad thing, I just would not be satisfied with it)

I am sorry for taking over this thread.. I just wanted to share that I believe there are more exciting opportunities here in US (although some claim oversaturation of ODs) and if you ever decide to take a chance with an american school paying higher fees, at least you will have a higher chance that you will make that up quickly compared to a canadian optometrist. IMHO 😍

That was a great post tasteestuff. I think that you hit it right on the mark. There are many oportunities in optometry, but many new grads are scared of being in a demanding practice, because (1.) they are not familiar with the demands and (2.) Some feel that they need to gain more exprerience. What these students fail to think is that by working at a demanding practice, you will get all the experience that you need. More exposure=more experience. I can't really say much because I, myself, haven't even started optometry school yet, but I am currently shadowing an optometrist who is a clinical director at a medical/surgical practice. Through our many conversations and what I have seen thus far, I have made up my mind to practice full scope optometry (within the professions' limit) when I am out of school. Like you I would prefer to be at a more challenging and demanding place. Not that there is anything wrong with seeing patients day to day for regular eye exams or anything like that. I find knowing how to use the retinoscope and phoropter pretty darn cool. I would just like to be in more of the clinical medicine setting. The optometrist that I am shadowing has a cataract specialist who comes in every Tuesdays and he has 2 retina specialists on site. So as you all can see, I get to see a whole load of stuff. As a matter of fact, I saw the retina doc perfoem an air fluid exchange last week. I can see that full scope optometry is challenging because every patient who walks in the door has more than 1 underlying ailment. The doctor gets to play Sherlock Holmes on each patient. I can truly say that I am fortunate to have had this opportunity to consider different options and markets before I even start optometry school. I think that it is so important to see the ups and downs of the field that you will be in. There seems to be more ups then downs.

Of course it took 29 REJECTIONS before I fell in with the right Doctors. YES...I'm not lying. 29 freakin rejections before I found an optometrist who was happy and willing to let me shadow him. From then on the doors are opening up one by one. I'm starting early on building professional relationships. 😀 Actually, next week I will get to go observe the OMD perform cataract surgery. I'm very excited about that. And before there is any argument about invasive surgery...I'm not pushing for it, I just like to broaden my knowledge. I just wanted to add that little note, because whenever surgery comes up on these threads, the fangs and claws tend comes out.

Okie...I'm going to stop rambling on...and on....and on

JapAnime
 
Tasteestuff,

Like Loncifer, I am curious as to why you didn't choose to go to UW and then practice in the States. Since we're on the topic of loans, wouldn't this be the best (i.e. cheapest) way to go?
 
Leroy said:
Tasteestuff,

Like Loncifer, I am curious as to why you didn't choose to go to UW and then practice in the States. Since we're on the topic of loans, wouldn't this be the best (i.e. cheapest) way to go?

I know this does not apply to many but I am married to an american girl (lucky for me, I guess !! I hope she doesn't read this 🙂 ) I was engaged to her before optometry so I had to decide on US or Canada. Embarassed to say this as canadian but, I chose US. 😳 But trust me, my american friends and family had to live through our GLORIOUS men/women/junior canadian hockey teams.. YEAHHHHH
So, yes it may have been cheaper but I figured the transition would be easier. Second, have you seen the clinic in Waterloo? I never see any patients in there. It is so quiet and clean !! 😱 not like american schools where the clinic feels like hospitals !!! :scared:
 
To the Canadian class of 2009:

Have any of you secured financing yet? I was just accepted at ICO this week and have seriously started looking. Looks like Educaid is a pretty good deal (though the exact terms aren't shown on the website) compared to CanHELP, though. What have all of you been up to?

P.S. how about that parliamentary crisis driving the canadian dollar back down (under $0.80USD yesterday)?
 
jefguth said:
To the Canadian class of 2009:

Have any of you secured financing yet? I was just accepted at ICO this week and have seriously started looking. Looks like Educaid is a pretty good deal (though the exact terms aren't shown on the website) compared to CanHELP, though. What have all of you been up to?

P.S. how about that parliamentary crisis driving the canadian dollar back down (under $0.80USD yesterday)?

Hey Jefguth,
As far as I can see, Canhelp is a division of Educaid...is this not the case? In order to qualify for the rest of the Educaid loans, I think you have to be a US citizen...let me know if you know of something different.
Sara

PS: Nope, I still haven't secured financing but I need to get on it pretty quick!
 
SuperSara said:
Hey Jefguth,
As far as I can see, Canhelp is a division of Educaid...is this not the case? In order to qualify for the rest of the Educaid loans, I think you have to be a US citizen...let me know if you know of something different.
Sara

PS: Nope, I still haven't secured financing but I need to get on it pretty quick!

It looks like Educaid and CanHELP are totally different programs. Educaid is a loan program offered by Wachovia (a bank/insurance company) while CanHELP is run by The Educational Resources Institute (I have no idea what/who they are). The main advantage I see is that Educaid has a lower interest rate; prime when you're in school (i think) and prime-0.5% when you repaying it whereas CanHELP is prime+something (anyone know?). It looks like its possible to get Educaid without a cosigner (who would have to be a US resident if you needed one) while CanHELP will accept Canadian cosigners (i.e. mom/dad) or doesn't require a cosigner if you borrow $18 500 or less.

It does look like some of the Educaid loans are availale to foreign students without a US cosigner but the details are unclear.

I'd really rather be borrowing from Canadian sources though b/c our interest rate is lower right now.
 
jefguth said:
To the Canadian class of 2009:

Have any of you secured financing yet? I was just accepted at ICO this week and have seriously started looking. Looks like Educaid is a pretty good deal (though the exact terms aren't shown on the website) compared to CanHELP, though. What have all of you been up to?

So far.......I haven't even looked at securing my finances.... :scared: but I haven't had a chance to sit down and talk to my parents about how much money I actually need since they're away right now, but they said they would help me out as much as they could, so I think a large portion will come from them and then I will have to find the rest somewhere else. I was thinking of looking into CanHELP since NECO gave me a couple of brochures in regards to the program. I haven't looked into Educaid yet but it seems to look like the more attractive deal from your posts. Has anyone looked at Edupass, Borque or Education Finance Group and the type of rates and payment plans they offer?

jefguth said:
P.S. how about that parliamentary crisis driving the canadian dollar back down (under $0.80USD yesterday)?

The political situation right now has me steaming mad!! To be honest, I don't even care who does what, I just want SOMEBODY to govern effectively. Everything that is government related is now just at a standstill and time is passing on a lot of issues that need to be dealt with, but all you hear is scandal this scandal that, confidence this and that balbalhbaaha. And yes.....it is driving down the Canadian dollar, which is no good at all for us going down to the US 😡 👎
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anchan said:
The political situation right now has me steaming mad!! To be honest, I don't even care who does what, I just want SOMEBODY to govern effectively. Everything that is government related is now just at a standstill and time is passing on a lot of issues that need to be dealt with, but all you hear is scandal this scandal that, confidence this and that balbalhbaaha. And yes.....it is driving down the Canadian dollar, which is no good at all for us going down to the US 😡 👎


When I was in school we celebrated when the Canadian dollar got to 67 cents. 😱
 
Hi everyone

I am new to this forum and already I find the information here so helpful. I just want to ask my fellow Canadians whether or not i have a chance at the American schools for optometry.
I have graduated from UofT with human biology. However, my GPA is only 2.7, which unfortunately doesn’t qualify me for waterloo. I am currently working as an optometrist assistant at a very busy downtown clinic. I got 360 on my OAT. I have done 4 research projects in undergrad one of them being in the area of vision science. I have done alot of volunteering and community service including volunteering for the Institute for the Blind.
I am going to be taking stats and psychology and two more courses this coming September to finish my pre-reqs.
I will be applying by the end of December just to get all my marks in my applications. So basically I would like to know what my chances are of getting into any of the American schools as well as any advice that you may have for me.
Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thank you 🙂
 
hey ODwannabe,

While your GPA is low, the fact that u got a 360 on the OAT and have soo much exerience and attended a great school with definately be a plus. Also, 2.7 is still, i believe, within the acceptable range of many US schools. Check their websites out, they usually show u the range of accepted GPA's etc. somewhere. It is most likely going to be the private schools that have the range you're looking for though, places like NECO, ICO, PCO.

However, i would advise you to not wait until december to apply, apply ASAP (either september/october)! With rolling admissions its to your advantage too, and especially since you are on the lower end of hte GPA distribution, it will help if you not competing with as many others. And besides they won't need all your grades to make a decision anyways.

Overall though I think you're profile looks very promising!!!
 
ODwannabe said:
Hi everyone

I am new to this forum and already I find the information here so helpful. I just want to ask my fellow Canadians whether or not i have a chance at the American schools for optometry.
I have graduated from UofT with human biology. However, my GPA is only 2.7, which unfortunately doesn’t qualify me for waterloo. I am currently working as an optometrist assistant at a very busy downtown clinic. I got 360 on my OAT. I have done 4 research projects in undergrad one of them being in the area of vision science. I have done alot of volunteering and community service including volunteering for the Institute for the Blind.
I am going to be taking stats and psychology and two more courses this coming September to finish my pre-reqs.
I will be applying by the end of December just to get all my marks in my applications. So basically I would like to know what my chances are of getting into any of the American schools as well as any advice that you may have for me.
Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thank you 🙂

When SUNY held an information session at UofT, they actually said that they make "adjustments" to the GPAs of UofT students. They don't do this with any conversion factor or anything but if a UofT student is applying with a really good profile (like yours..ie, volunteer work, good OATs) but a little lower GPA, they overlook it because they realize that UofT is a really competitive school. This was really surprising to me b/c Canadian professional school would never do this.
Anyhow, thats what they said..hope this helps
 
Anyone want to hear some crazy scary numbers on financing?

My father and I, had a look at the anticipated expenses for 4 years at ICO. Bascially at an exchange rate of 80 cents to the US dollar and an interest rate of 5% and interest accruing over those 4 years, we're looking at loans of $265 000 CND by the time I would get the OD. Now to repay that over 10 years payments would be $33 000/year CND, over 20 years 21 000/year CND.

Anyone else think that sounds really scary and almost impossible to manage if you return to Canada?