Canadians paying for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ubcredfox

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was just wondering if any Canadians reading this might be able to tell me how, as international students, they pay for medical school...

I'm looking for specific details, like what loan(s) you took out, and how much financing you got from your school etc.

I actually just got into Dartmouth (YAY!!!!) so, if anyone has Dartmouth specific info, that would rock.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i know a canadian who pays for med school by selling the good ol weed from up north..

You might want to contact Dartmouth to see what info/help they can give you.

Other than that - Canada Student Loans, CanHelp, and a line of credit at a bank is what is available

MD=Massive Debt

Members don't see this ad :)
Contact MD Management. They give free financial advising to Canadian med students; not sure whether they would include people going to non-Canadian schools.

You might be able to convince a Canadian bank to give you their MD student line of credit-- maximum of $150,000, which is (for most people) enough for 4 years at a Canadian school (including living expenses). But you'll probably need more, eh?

Edit: Also, congratulations!

Congratulaitons for your future expensive MD degree. Up here, banks just beg us to get their LOCs...maybe it's also the case in the US?

You may get 200K from RBC if you have a good credit...

Hmmm, why aren't you going to a Canadian school if I may ask?

noncestvrai

noncestvrai said:
Congratulaitons for your future expensive MD degree. Up here, banks just beg us to get their LOCs...maybe it's also the case in the US?

noncestvrai

I'm still in the cycle for canadian schools, and since in canada things are done much much slower than in the US, I have to wait until May to find out if i'll be attending a Canadian school - or January if I don't get any interviews.

noncestvrai said:

noncestvrai

The question is why would someone go to a Canadian medical school when they could go to a school in the US or elsewhere?
Canadian medical school education is not that good when compared to places like the US, Australia or the UK.
I think a US school is the better choice.

Congrats in getting in to Dartmouth.
Dont stress on the money issue, there is a program called TERI/CanHelp, and as mentioned some banks are more than willling to give out lines of credit.
Your 4 years of debt will be repaid soon enough after you graduate and once/if you specialize into a lucrative field you will easily be out of the red and into the black!

MedStar said:
The question is why would someone go to a Canadian medical school when they could go to a school in the US or elsewhere?
Canadian medical school education is not that good when compared to places like the US, Australia or the UK.
I think a US school is the better choice.

Congrats in getting in to Dartmouth.
Dont stress on the money issue, there is a program called TERI/CanHelp, and as mentioned some banks are more than willling to give out lines of credit.
Your 4 years of debt will be repaid soon enough after you graduate and once/if you specialize into a lucrative field you will easily be out of the red and into the black!

NON... NON... not a troll.. just not so bright.

Any Canadian Medschool can give MOST US or UK & almost all Australian schools a good run for their money.

Money is a big issue and don't underestimate that. TERI/Canhelp gives 25k US with out a co-signer. After that you are on your own for the other 25-30K US$. Line of credit, you start paying right away on the amount you use. Not cute when you get to 3 year and your 80-100K Line of credit in the whole.

Just wanted to add that TERI/CanHelp will give you up to $45,000 US per year with a Canadian co-signer. If you use Canadian student loans as well (I think about $9,000 US per year), it's enough to live on after paying tuition.
At the start of your 4th year you can also apply for an Access Group loan online for up to $13,000 (no co-signer needed) to cover residency interviews/moving costs, etc.

ubcredfox said:
So, I was just wondering if any Canadians reading this might be able to tell me how, as international students, they pay for medical school...

I'm looking for specific details, like what loan(s) you took out, and how much financing you got from your school etc.

I actually just got into Dartmouth (YAY!!!!) so, if anyone has Dartmouth specific info, that would rock.

Thanks.

Like another girl mentioned, the biggest loan giver for Canadian/international students is Teri.org I think. Another thing you should do is apply for OSAP, they will give you ~8000 canadian, but that's good enough, for living expenses and stuff. Plus you could get some loans from Canadian banks themselves. Good luck.