• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

positivetension

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2007
Toronto
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Do any Canucks want to share their infinite wisdom on studying in the US?
I just want to know what kind of hurdles I'll be facing as a Canadian when I start Year 1 Pharm.D. Dunno what I am getting myself into when I move to the States...

Internships: More paperwork? Disadvantage compared to US students?
Jobs: Can I work outside of campus?
I-20: What on earth does a I-20 get me?
Cars: In New York State...if I bring a car, do I need to get a NY driver's license, NY insurance, new plates?!?
Dollar exchange: I heard that XEtrade is the site to use if I need to change CAD to USD? Is this so?
Where to work?: Are you guys planning on staying in the States or going back to Canada?

That's all I can think about on the top of my head, any other info is much appreciated

LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat
10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
King's Landing
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Do any Canucks want to share their infinite wisdom on studying in the US?
I just want to know what kind of hurdles I'll be facing as a Canadian when I start Year 1 Pharm.D. Dunno what I am getting myself into when I move to the States...
Hello, I am not Canadian but I have lived there for quite a while and two of my family members are permanent residents of Canada (my husband and baby.. long story). The question is not what are you getting into by moving to the States but what are you getting into by going to pharmacy school. motivation is all you need no matter the setting

Internships: More paperwork? Disadvantage compared to US students?

I am a 2nd year attending UTHSC en memphis Tennessee. No, there is no disadvantage during internships. The paperwork is light.
If you have any questions always go to your international advisor(IA) at your school...mine is fantastic:thumbup:
All you need is a letter from a pharmacist saying that you'll be working part-time and specify the dates. You take that letter to your IA ad she/he will put on your I-20 the location and duration of your job ( they call it a CPT..curriculum praticum). I've done this every semester since school started, I have not had any problem. Normally most states requires you to have hours of internships outside your school setting and controle for license.

Jobs: Can I work outside of campus?

Not only can you..but you have too. Find out ASAP how many hours of internship is required by your state for license ( make sure to sort out between the hours you'll get during rotations and the "non academic" hours they require.

I-20: What on earth does a I-20 get me?

:laugh: a I-20 get you what you want..the chance to study here...without a I-20 even with your Canadian Citizenship all you can do is visit....make sure to understand the rules that governe the I-20.

Cars: In New York State...if I bring a car, do I need to get a NY driver's license, NY insurance, new plates?!?

Yes to all of the above. For the driver license all you need to do is to bring you Canadien driver license and they should give you a NY DL (they might ask you to pass a vision exam) that's how I got my US DL in florida.

Dollar exchange: I heard that XEtrade is the site to use if I need to change CAD to USD? Is this so?

of course you can use them, or use ww.xe.com or any of the thousand other web sites.

Where to work?: Are you guys planning on staying in the States or going back to Canada?

Well, that I don't know yet..my family situation is..:cool: let say very interesting. I have not yet figure out where I will be working.

Good luck

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.