Canadians with Car in US

Started by ML1983
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ML1983

PCO Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if any Canadians out there have brought a car with them to the US? And how did you work it out with your insurance companies, and what company (Canadian or American) do you have? Thanks
 
State Farm or All State will cover you but make sure your insurance is from Canada...you'll save more $$

ML1983 said:
Just wondering if any Canadians out there have brought a car with them to the US? And how did you work it out with your insurance companies, and what company (Canadian or American) do you have? Thanks
 
ML1983 said:
Just wondering if any Canadians out there have brought a car with them to the US? And how did you work it out with your insurance companies, and what company (Canadian or American) do you have? Thanks


You can also get an american citizen to co-sign on your insurance for you and draft a affidavit from a lawyer explaining that you are fully responsible. That's what I did - good luck with it - It was a pain
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey ML1983, have you found any further infor for insurance?? I am going to PCO this fall and need to get insured in the US.
 
SPG said:
hey ML1983, have you found any further infor for insurance?? I am going to PCO this fall and need to get insured in the US.

Hey SPG< which province are you from?
I have B.C Insurance while I"m in the states, but my friend told me that if she wants to get insurance from Ont to the US, it'll be VERY expensive; perhaps 75-100% more.
 
In my experience, State Farm (ON) allowed me to take my car to the US without any additional fees or even notiflying them. It sounds like there's alot of variation between insurers...
 
Katalio said:
Hey SPG< which province are you from?
I have B.C Insurance while I"m in the states, but my friend told me that if she wants to get insurance from Ont to the US, it'll be VERY expensive; perhaps 75-100% more.

Hey Katalio, I'm from Ontario which is not to assuring.. I will contact my insurance company to see how much it will be, hopefully the change in policy will me minimal

see you in the fall.