Cancelling an already scheduled interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

what's a polite way to word this sort of a cancellation ... do I state a reason or not? ... My real reason is too many invites and not enough interest in that particular program ... but I probably shoudn't say it that way ... So I'm looking for a more kosher way ... be specific plz as I'm drawing a total blank :oops:
Thanks y'all

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is best to keep it simple. Something like...

Thank you for the opportuniy to interview with your program. Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend the interview on (date) due to a change in my schedule. Best of luck with your recruiting season.

Give the program enough advance time to schedule another applicant. PDs know that people accept too many interviews, there is an expected percent of cancellations.

This only backfired on me once, when the program called to offer me another date :rolleyes:

Dear Program X

I currently am scheduled to interview at your program on [Insert Date]. Thank you so much for the opportunity, however I will not be able to attend on that date.

Again, thank you so much for the invitation.

Warmest Regards

Blue 2000

There is no need to give a reason. Curteous replies allow them to schedule another candidate. Everyone knows it how the game is played, and no one will cry themselves to sleep or blackball you because you wrote a polite note of regret.

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for ... Thanks a bunch ... You guys rock! :D

sz said:
Hey guys

what's a polite way to word this sort of a cancellation ... do I state a reason or not? ... My real reason is too many invites and not enough interest in that particular program ... but I probably shoudn't say it that way ... So I'm looking for a more kosher way ... be specific plz as I'm drawing a total blank :oops:
Thanks y'all

Hi there,
You could also blame the airlines and say something like you are unable to find a flight that fits your interview schedule and that you appreciate the invitation to interview but are unable to make it. If they invite you to another date, say that you are booked.

I actually ended up having to do this because I could not get my flight schedule to mesh well enough without having a huge layover (expensive).

nbjmd :)