Cancelling Away Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfect Hair Day

Grapes of Wrath, Chocolate Ice Cream, Johnny Cash.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the etiquette for turning down an away rotation that you have already accepted?

I have heard (though not from any real authority) that canceled aways = no interview. Is there any truth to this at all or is that just a rumor?

PHD

Members don't see this ad.

What is the etiquette for turning down an away rotation that you have already accepted?

I have heard (though not from any real authority) that canceled aways = no interview. Is there any truth to this at all or is that just a rumor?

PHD

Will it result in a loss of interview at all places? No

Is it inconsiderate which leads programs to get a bad taste which can lead to no interviews? Yes

In the long run you may have blocked another student who wanted that rotation. Programs may or may not take that into consideration.

PHD
Cancelled 2. 1 before I heard back, 1 after I heard back. Got interviews from both. As always, depends on strength of your application. Just be super polite in your phrasing and email them asap. If you're nervous, feel free to send me what you're thinking of saying over PM and I can give you the green light.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you are giving them an appropriate amount of time to fill the now vacant spot it really shouldn’t be an issue. But some may look at it as a sign that they aren’t very high on your list.

Reactions: 1 user
I turned down one and was interviewed by that program. As long as you cancel with enough time to allow them to fill the spot, and are polite and tactful in the way you do it, you should be fine. Ymmv

Is it inconsiderate which leads programs to get a bad taste which can lead to no interviews? Yes

In the long run you may have blocked another student who wanted that rotation. Programs may or may not take that into consideration.

Why is this inconsiderate in the slightest? Life happens.

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule as to the amount of notice considered "not inconsiderate." I'd say...
Just don't want to go anymore? 2 Months.
Got a better offer elsewhere? 1 month.
Family or other personal emergency? 1 day.

Anyplace who will blacklist you from an interview just because you canceled an away rotation is not a place you want to be.

I had to turn one down about 1.5 months in advance due to my wife having a bit of a complicated pregnancy....wasn't offered an interview there.

Reactions: 1 users
Canceled an away a month before it started (got into my #1), still got an interview there.

I turned down 3 offers, did not receive interviews at any

Reactions: 1 user