Cancelling interview after accepting it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pisiform

Oh Crap!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically I got an offer for the interview from program I applied a month ago so I scheduled the interview date in November. Now I have heard back from other programs in a more desirable location and so my schedule won't let me accommodate too many interviews.

So how should I let them know about cancelling my interview with them?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically I got an offer for the interview from program I applied a month ago so I scheduled the interview date in November. Now I have heard back from other programs in a more desirable location and so my schedule won't let me accommodate too many interviews.

So how should I let them know about cancelling my interview with them?

Write a polite email thanking the program for an interview and then say that you're declining.

Reactions: 1 users
Write a polite email thanking the program for an interview and then say that you're declining.

Exactly. Cancelling interviews is extremely common, and fully expected. Especially if you've applied to a ton of places and are getting tons of invites. Just be as courteous as possible and let them know as soon as you realize you won't be able to go or don't want to go.

Cancelling interviews is fine. It is expected. Let programs know as soon as you can so they can offer the spot to someone else.

Occasionally people will just not show up for an interview. That is unacceptable.

Reactions: 2 users
As others have said, cancel interview as soon as you know you won't be going. I think cancelling an interview within 1 to 2 weeks of the interview is pretty bush league.

Reactions: 1 users
Happens all the time I'm sure. Just try to give as much warning so someone from the waitlist will get an opportunity

Cancelling interviews is fine. It is expected. Let programs know as soon as you can so they can offer the spot to someone else.

Occasionally people will just not show up for an interview. That is unacceptable.
My med school dean said PDs have called him to complain about students not showing up to interviews without notice before. Some have reportedly threatened to blackball every single student from our school if it happened again.

Basically... don't just not show up for an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
A program recently gave me an interview offer 8 days from the offer. While it seemed like a turd move, I'm sure it was caused by an equally late decline of interview by somebody else. Had I taken them up on the offer, I would have cancelled an (inferior to me) interview and freed up a slot at a different program, again with 8 days notice.

I imagine one late cancellation can ripple through the system and result in many expensive last-minute airplane tickets for us interview candidates. Please don't do it if you can avoid it.

The only people I've heard not showing up to the interview are people who had too much fun at the resident dinner the night before and then slept through the interview itself. Probably also has consequences for their medical school...

Yea not showing up is bad. I just make sure I send them a cancelling email at least 2 weeks ahead

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My med school dean said PDs have called him to complain about students not showing up to interviews without notice before. Some have reportedly threatened to blackball every single student from our school if it happened again.

Same thing happened at my school. Super unprofessional

I've heard of things like this happening for people who reject fellowship interviews at certain places. if you don't go, suddenly no other resident from your program will get an invite there. at least that's what one of my mentors try to say

People not showing up without notice is annoying. But holding that against future students from the same school seems petty. My 2 cents.

Reactions: 3 users
I've heard of things like this happening for people who reject fellowship interviews at certain places. if you don't go, suddenly no other resident from your program will get an invite there. at least that's what one of my mentors try to say
Rejecting an interview is nbd. Perfectly understandable that some people get more than they can schedule.

OTOH, not showing up to an interview that was scheduled is rude. At best.

Rejecting an interview is nbd. Perfectly understandable that some people get more than they can schedule.

OTOH, not showing up to an interview that was scheduled is rude. At best.

i agree with you, but not everyone sees it that way. have heard multiple stories about bitter programs taking it out on applicants for surgical fellowships

Please, please, please, the more lead time you can give a program if you are going to cancel, the better. We are already trying to maximize our days as much as possible, to interview as many as we feasibly can; knowing that there are still a ton out there we just can't get to. We do not want to go into an interview day with open spots!!