Cancelling OAT score release

eyesee123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question that I did not readily see in "search."

If you cancel the release of your scores to schools listed on the OAT application BEFORE taking the OAT, when the OAT is taken for a second time is the initial attempt at the OAT released as well? Or only the second attempt when schools are listed to release scores too?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

if im not mistaken, i believe the schools that you apply to will see the scores of the 3 most recent times you took the test no matter if you want them to see it or not.

Thank you for the information.

So the whole point telling the OAT people what schools to send scores to does not really matter then? Does it look really bad if you take it and do horrible, but then re-take it and do much better?

I have heard of people taking the OAT once just to get a feel of it and used to that testing environment, and then taking it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
taking the OAT more than twice is not recommended. But taking it twice is perfectly fine. Not everyone is comfortable with standardized tests. You have to remember that your OAT score isn't everything either. I applied very late in cycle (beginning of feb) and had a 310TA/290TS (260 in organic, 290 in physics, 310 in bio/gchem, 360RC, 340QR) and got into both schools I applied too, ICO and NECO. I have 3.7 gpa and a ton of volunteer and leadership experience. I also shadowed for 80 hours. So don't stress about your OAT if your other areas of you apps are strong.

I love how almost any opinion so far is diametrically opposed to at least one other — :lol:.

Well, the problem is that some people chime in with inaccurate advice.

"Take the OAT as many times as you need" is TERRIBLE advice; it doesn't get across the highly relevant point that taking it three or more times doesn't look good to admissions committees, hence it will lower your chances of acceptance. Plus, if a student is so hopelessly unable to perform well on tests that he/she has to take the OAT many times to even achieve a decent score, then that student will not likely succeed in optometry school! Taking the test two, even three times if absolutely necessary, is one thing, but if someone needs much more attempts than that (i.e. "as many times as you need") then I'd advise the student to rethink his/her career path.

I apologize.. I forgot that I have a different mentality than others.

If Optometry is what you want to do.. and you are passionate about it, and know that it is your calling.. No TEST should stop you.

That's fine to have a determined mentality. That's an important quality when it comes to achieving success! But, realistically, optometry is a difficult endeavor. And, lets face it, not everyone can do it....

If Optometry is what you want to do.. and you are passionate about it, and know that it is your calling.. No TEST should stop you.

Well, that's nice, and it's true being a competent doctor isn't dependent upon being a good test-taker. But, if you consistently perform horribly on the O.A.T., maybe it isn't "nerves"; maybe you just have a poor understanding of the material the exam covers, or a terrible handicap about being able to interpret the questions/answers "correctly." In the former event, you're unlikely suited to pursuing a science-based education; in the latter, it's probable you'll be unable to gain board-certification to eventually enter the medical field.

Determination is great, but it's imperative one explore, understand, then accept one's limitations. I don't say this to discourage anyone, only to balance what I see as this insupportably gleeful "YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU SET YOUR MIND ON" attitude some people appear to adopt; no one is capable of doing "anything," because nobody can do everything.

Some are destined to succeed. Some are determined to succeed.

And? Determination is a great attribute, but what I am trying to avoid is the idea that all it takes to become an optometrist is determination. That's a huge part of it, yes, but not everyone is able to succeed in becoming an optometrist.

When I got rejected by scco, I asked dr.munroe how many times she thought I could take the oat considering that I would be doing a second application cycle. She said I could probably do as many as 5 times and be alright, especially if I was always improving. So I think doing better and better each time is the key. But keep in mind that she said 5 between 2 app cycles. So I guess you could think of it as 3 the first time around and 2 the second? Or vice versa.

Why must things always be either/or?

How about we be determined to succeed on the first try? :rolleyes:

I like the positive attitude, but this whole idea about "taking the exam" to "get a feel for it" is setting you up for failure. If you're that worried about nerves, take the mock exams they give out at Kaplan centers, NOT the actual exam. I believe it's free, and you just need to call and set up an appointment.

eyesee123, don't fret. I'd say the OAT is slightly harder than the Opted test, and slightly easier than Kaplan practice tests. If you want to be overly prepared, use an OAT Destroyer. Good luck! :thumbup: