Cancer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

512TA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a doubt from immuno. Kapalan says in chapter on cancer immuno pg 466 1st point, that the method tumor cells evade immune response is by down regulation of MHC class1. But isnt it the molecule displayed on all normal cells??? and if it is not displayed well it would mean that the cell is defective and be destroyed by a macrophage.
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Decreased expression of MHC I in tumor cells allows them to dodge recognition by CD8 CTL's. CTL's are big players in the aquired immune system recognition and destruction of viral/tumor cells.

NK's on the other hand are apart of the innate immune response and work via two signals. One of them is MHC I... Normal cells express both signals: the activating signal and then deactivating signal (self MHC I) - the latter being pro survival for the cell. Cells that express the NK activating signal and lack MHC I (the deactivation signal) will get killed by the NK. This does seem contradictory to what occurs with CTLs.

My sense is that CTL evasion provides a long-term survival benefit that outweighs any increased NK response. Confirmation anyone???

As I recall, macrophages don't generally kill tumors via MHC I. Rather, they (along with neutrophils and eosinophils) bind to the Fc region of antibodies that recognize tumor specific antigens (TSA).