Cant decide on a major for college

Started by phenom832
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

phenom832

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i want to get into sports medicine but cant decide on a major i was thinking exercise science. i also am not sure if i want to go through all the school of it takes to be a doctor but i know it will pay off in the end. A lawyer is my other choice is there a way to do both
 
i want to get into sports medicine but cant decide on a major i was thinking exercise science. i also am not sure if i want to go through all the school of it takes to be a doctor but i know it will pay off in the end. A lawyer is my other choice is there a way to do both



sounds like you arent really sure what you wanna do....which is totally fine. But being involved with sports medicine and going in to law essentially have nothing to do with each other. You will develop your interests throughout college and you may find that you become passionate about something you never thought about before...thats the beauty of college!

I was interested in sports medicine coming out of high school too! My major was kinesiology and I LOVED every second of it. You should look in to each school's kinesiology department b/c I think it varies quite a bit between schools. I went to Occidental College and it was an absolutely fantastic education. My courses for my major included two semesters of anatomy, human physiology, biomechanics, exercise biochemistry, courses on nutrition, sports psychology, etc. Occidental is a small liberal arts college so it was awesome that even outside of major I found many classes and subjects that I loved as well - I took courses in psychology, religious studies, sociology, etc.

I was also able to work as a student athletic trainer and worked with the athletes at the school (I also played my own sport)!



I wouldnt worry about deciding on a major now. You have plenty of time to that during college. Its good that you have an interest in something, and i encourage you to explore it, but do it with an open mind, knowing that there are hundreds of other majors that may fire you up as well.

Good luck! If you follow your passion, major in what you love, college will be the best time of your life.
 
You don't have to declare right away, but do yourself a favor and start the med-school prereqs your freshman year - dont wait til your soph year like I did. Trust me, the workload will be much lower during your junior/senior years.
 
i want to get into sports medicine but cant decide on a major i was thinking exercise science. i also am not sure if i want to go through all the school of it takes to be a doctor but i know it will pay off in the end. A lawyer is my other choice is there a way to do both

Heyo,

It really doesn't matter what your major is. Many med schools these days actually like to see students who don't take Biology as their major. lol. English, Spanish, Political Science, etc. are all great! You just have to make sure you have all your pre-reqs covered!

If you want to go into sports med, then Kinesiology Exercise Science is a good idea, but not really necessary. I went to UH's Kines program, and it's great. Ranked one of the best, actually!

But as the other poster said, take a look at all the schools you're applying to and see what the differences in programs are. They should have the degree plans posted up also on their website so you can compare different schools to see what they require and if the degree plan also covers some or all of your required med school pre-reqs.