Can't make a decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi people, hope everyone is doing well.

So I live outside the US and would like to pursue dentistry /medicine.
The grades I have, it's more a question of what I would like better.

I've read into both professions and they really both appeal to me. I know some of you may think that I'm comparing apples with oranges.
But I would not mind looking into mouths the whole day but then again would not mind working as a general physician.

So I'M really torn and have one week left to apply for upcoming year. Plus we don't get the opportunity to shadow physicians/dentists.

Its been a year that I have crohns disease; but it's not like I run to the toilet..it's pretty manageable.

My expectations of my future job are the following;
-stable job
-working in health care, providing service
-helping others with physical issues
-my ISTJ personality suits both dentistry/medicine

Can someone help me out? Maby by asking some questions?
Thanks in advance.....

Members don't see this ad.

Are you an American looking to come back to the US, an American looking to be an IMG, a non-American looking to study in the US, or a non-American looking to study in your home country? Because all advice depends heavily on your citizenship and where you intend to study.

If you intend to apply to med school in the US, whether as an American citizen or as a non-American, shadowing/clinical experience is an absolute must. If you have not shadowed, what has your other clinical experience been like? If you have yet to do any, that's the logical place to start. Trying to pick a career by reading a book is like trying to pick your future spouse based on reading their match dot com profile. Might work out for you if you're lucky, but suffice it say that the real person may not be entirely as advertised. ;)