Can't practice PT without a DPT starting in a certain year????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbizzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's this I hear about not being able to practice without having a DPT starting the year 2020 or 2040 or something???? Can someone shed some light on this?

Does this mean PT's with a B.s. or an MPT wouldn't be able to practice?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe this is an ongoing topic of discussion within the APTA House of Delegates; how to tighten the reigns and formulate new goals as year 2020 approaches. I think the idea is that the critical mass of PTs practicing by then will have their DPT or transition doctorate, and in order to qualify to sit for licensure a DPT will be required. This may mean individuals without a DPT will be grandfathered into the doctorate as done in several other professional programs. It is a pretty fiery topic, especially for those who have transition degrees (see EIM Blog + commentary).

Is anyone reading here a Delegate and care to comment on current state of affairs?!

Members don't see this ad :)
MAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!! And here I was banking on going to an MPT program!

This shouldn't stop you from attending an MPT program. 2020 is still many years away and you will already have a license by that time.

Currently, in order to site for the NPTE, one has to have graduated from an accredited PT program. It does not matter whether it is a Master's or a Doctoral program.

Elbrus and JessPT, but IF I do get an MPT and license before 2020, when the year 2020 rolls around I wont be able to practice anymore....or will I if I get grandfathered in????

It would be my guess that you would be grandfathered in. I cannot see the APTA leaving all those with MPT's out on a limb.

hi all
From the looks of the profession it seems the minimum requirement to practice as a Physical Therapist will be a Doctorate, In addition look at all the schools that offer a DPT compared to MPT. So it seems headed towards DPT, but its kind peculiar why they are headed that in that direction? I dont think it would make a difference in terms if practice. Any opinions?

If necessary you could go for the transitionDPT

In one of our professional issues classes, our instructor (who is also a delegate to the APTA) stated that in the year 2020, in order to practice you would have to have either a T-DPT or first professional DPT in order to keep practicing. BSPTs and MPTs would not be grandfathered in...

I don't really see how that is feasible, and no one has been able to corroborate what she said, so take it as you will.......