Can't practice PT without a DPT starting in a certain year????

jbizzle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
What's this I hear about not being able to practice without having a DPT starting the year 2020 or 2040 or something???? Can someone shed some light on this?

Does this mean PT's with a B.s. or an MPT wouldn't be able to practice?

Elbrus

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2008
Still in the trenches
Status
Physical Therapist
I believe this is an ongoing topic of discussion within the APTA House of Delegates; how to tighten the reigns and formulate new goals as year 2020 approaches. I think the idea is that the critical mass of PTs practicing by then will have their DPT or transition doctorate, and in order to qualify to sit for licensure a DPT will be required. This may mean individuals without a DPT will be grandfathered into the doctorate as done in several other professional programs. It is a pretty fiery topic, especially for those who have transition degrees (see EIM Blog + commentary).

Is anyone reading here a Delegate and care to comment on current state of affairs?!

About the Ads

jbizzle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
MAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!! And here I was banking on going to an MPT program!

Elbrus

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2008
Still in the trenches
Status
Physical Therapist
This shouldn't stop you from attending an MPT program. 2020 is still many years away and you will already have a license by that time.

jesspt

10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
Status
DPT / OTD
Currently, in order to site for the NPTE, one has to have graduated from an accredited PT program. It does not matter whether it is a Master's or a Doctoral program.

jbizzle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
Elbrus and JessPT, but IF I do get an MPT and license before 2020, when the year 2020 rolls around I wont be able to practice anymore....or will I if I get grandfathered in????

thorn22

10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2009
Arizona
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
It would be my guess that you would be grandfathered in. I cannot see the APTA leaving all those with MPT's out on a limb.

caduceus27

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Ny,Ny
Status
hi all
From the looks of the profession it seems the minimum requirement to practice as a Physical Therapist will be a Doctorate, In addition look at all the schools that offer a DPT compared to MPT. So it seems headed towards DPT, but its kind peculiar why they are headed that in that direction? I dont think it would make a difference in terms if practice. Any opinions?

fallbackplan

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2008
Status
Rehab Sci Student
In one of our professional issues classes, our instructor (who is also a delegate to the APTA) stated that in the year 2020, in order to practice you would have to have either a T-DPT or first professional DPT in order to keep practicing. BSPTs and MPTs would not be grandfathered in...

I don't really see how that is feasible, and no one has been able to corroborate what she said, so take it as you will.......

About the Ads