Can't solve this calculation problem!

Started by nextyearrx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nextyearrx

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been trying to solve this problem but not getting the right and easy way to solve this.

Q: How many milliosmoles/L are there in 1L of a NaCl solution containing 1mEq of sodium ion in each 20 mL?

The way I do is: NaCl-->Na + Cl

mEq=mmol*valance
1=mmol*2
therefore, mmol=0.5

Now 20ml contains--> 0.5mOsm
So 1000mL will contain 0.5*1000 / 20 = 25mOsm

But the answer is 100mOsm😳 I have no idea how the answer is 100..
 
I have been trying to solve this problem but not getting the right and easy way to solve this.

Q: How many milliosmoles/L are there in 1L of a NaCl solution containing 1mEq of sodium ion in each 20 mL?

The way I do is: NaCl-->Na + Cl

mEq=mmol*valance
1=mmol*2
therefore, mmol=0.5

Now 20ml contains--> 0.5mOsm
So 1000mL will contain 0.5*1000 / 20 = 25mOsm

But the answer is 100mOsm😳 I have no idea how the answer is 100..


The answer is 100 mOsmol, so that is correct.

1 mEq = 20 mL, thus 1000 ml = 50 mEq

1 mEq= 58.5 mg, thus 50 mEq = 2925 mg

1 mmol = 58.5 mg, thus 2925 mg = 50 mmol

1 mmol = 2 mOsmol, thus 50 mmol = 100 mOsmol. Hope that helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad